1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Nancy Pelosi...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Wow, I never thought I'd land in your crosshairs.

"Mr. Abscam" was a brain-dead description, and I earned your barbs on that one. And I know damn well your statement I just bolded is true, but you know as well as I do that doesn't matter to the moral-equivilancy crowd on cable news that is (usually) so successful at shaping public opinion.

And because of her public support for Murtha, what happens if he doesn't get the votes? She gets undercut by her own party right out of the box.

I tried to make the point in my first point, and I'll reiterate here: My concern is how Murtha or Hastings or anybody conduct themselves from this point on, and if they do so honorably, the Democrats will be fine. But Pelosi, not me, promised the "most ethical Congress in history." I'm not sure that immediately backing one (and possibly two) people for leadership positions who have had, uh, ethics problems is the smartest thing.

We agree on a lot, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

2. Interesting, and not totally dissimilar to the way McCain finessed his way out of the Keating 5 mess. I still don't see Murtha as Mr. Abscam as long as Harrison Williams's name is still in play, and I think anyone who writes that Tip O'Neill was "Ronald Reagan's liberal tormentor" is pretty much oversimplfying a very complicated and interesting relationship.
    FWIW, Prettyman's the guy they named the federal courthouse down from the Capitol for.
    I agree that there's some sharp practice here -- and I'm assuming this is from the WSJ news hole and not its lunatic editorial page, since there's no link -- and, Joe, like I said, there are problems with Murtha that are more serious (to me) than Abscam.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

She hasn't exactly stuck her neck out for Murtha, although she did endorse him. And even if the absolute worst of what's been floated about something Murtha might have done 20 years ago is true, it doesn't take much perspective to see it's a damn sight better than Denny Hastert and Karl Rove, who not only knew about Mark Foley's bad behavior, but they pressured him to run for re-election rather than retire, so they could keep the seat. Would Murtha even qualify as a blip on the corruption radar screen if he were a member of the GOP? I think not.

4. Plus, whoever gets the job is going to help pass the lobbying reform - which Murtha allegdly already has called "crap" in a caucus -- that Pelosi wants so that people can't do what they did two decades ago, and which could not even come to the floor in the previous Congress.
    And, as someone pointed out, what the R's did to the Ethics committee makes Charlie Wilson and Tip O'Neill look saintly.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Pelosi has stuck her neck out. Apparently, she has been making calls and buttonholing members on Murtha's behalf. You can compare Murtha to any Republican you want. I'll be holding him to the standard Pelosi set: that he will be a leader of the most ethical Congress in history.

6. I'd settle for the most ethical Congress of the past seven years.
    I'll settle for a Majority Leader who isn't under indictment and nobody taking the Bob Ney train to Danbury.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Joe, both sides of the aisle has made a mockery out of it for more times than not.

If Murtha is being bandied about as majority leader in the House, then where is Reid and old man Byrd being slotted in this new regime over in the Senate?? Majority whip?

Draft saved Draft deleted