1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Michigan State: This is not the answer to your football woes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Because if it was, Duke would have made Coach K take over the football program years ago. Also, this is what happens when we're forced to write legitimate news stories about message board fantasies by people who are drunk or stoned. But remember, the Internet is the future!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200661120024

By SHANNON SHELTON

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

EAST LANSING – Tom Izzo as Michigan State’s new football coach? East Lansing does have a tradition of unusual hirings…

Reporters discussed an Izzo candidacy as a left-field possibility last week on some Internet sites, but a Lansing television station added fuel to that speculation by reporting Saturday night that Izzo was indeed being considered for the job.

On Monday, Izzo said that he didn’t think he was a candidate and focused on his role as the Spartans’ head basketball coach. At the same time, he didn’t completely deny interest in a football job.

“I guess the best way and shortest way to answer it is, uh, I told (MSU president) Lou Anna (Simon) that I would do anything I could do to help this program,” Izzo said. “I guess if I was to be honest about it, I’ve been honored that my name would even be brought up.”

“Anybody who knows me knows that for longer than I’ve been here, football has been a love of mine, beyond most normal human beings.”

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Blogs, I tell you ...

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

On a serious note, has Izzo's good buddy Steve Mariucci been considered as a candidate?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's about time that serious cost-saving measures were considered in big-time college sports.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If the principal makes Izzo wash the team uniforms, AND chaperone the Sadie Hawkins dance, my sources say he'll pass on the job.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For about a week, then he bailed out when Izzo told him the entire production, as par for the course for Sparty, was degenerating into a circus, and if he didn't yank his name out of the running, he'd end up being publicly passed over in favor of a low-level position coach.

Don't be too sure all this Izzo nonsense isn't simply a diversionary smokescreen being pumped out by the ruling George Perles faction, to allow them to slip their candidate into the job using the rationale, "well at least he's a football coach." ::) ::)

FWIW, Perles was reportedly on local radio in Lansing Monday, huffing, pissing and moaning at great length that has "not even been consulted" by the administration as to who the new coach should be.

Yeah, sure. Like Dick Cheney huffing and pissing that he "hasn't been consulted" as to who the new dogcatcher in Baghdad should be.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

A great move by MSU. [michiganfanboy]

EDIT: In all seriousness, this would be kind of cool. Izzo is always at the games but that really would'nt make him a football wizard. But I still think it's kind of cool.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is it really that farfetched? You can hire good X's and O's guys to be your coordinators. After that, head coaching in college is about motivation, juggling egos, the media spotlight, backslapping the alumni, recruiting...Izzo's got all that down.

It'd be a helluva experiment, that's for sure. Would be at least more interesting than MSU hiring another retread.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

What the hell do Michigan State think they are? Only high schools can get away with a coach coaching two sports, three at a max.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment.

[​IMG]

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

MSU is who we thought they were.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I heard Spurrier could be the next coach in East Lansing. Said he wanted to try ice fishing. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted