1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Lucas:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No kidding (and myself as a prime culprit). Joe must be thinking of some other site.

It does bear mentioning from a historical perspective, if I recall correctly, that this site wasn't exactly warmly welcomed by a lot of those higher up in the food chain n the sports journalism industry back in 2001. A lot of folks saw it as a waste of time (which it is and was, thank you very much) and a place where mudslinging and rumor mongering would or could get out of control in a heartbeat.

Thanks for having the cajones to keep moving it forward from the Rich Johnson days, Lucas. You and the moderator army have a done a great job to raise the level of decorum and behavior from the anon 2:12 days, although as an outsider to the industry, I kind of enjoyed the Wild West days of the forum.

I thank you for keeping this place intact--to use a radio term, my P1 place to see what's happening in the sporting world.

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Whatever web forum you're talking about, it's clearly not the SJ we've all come to know and occasionally have warm feelings toward.

Although that warm feeling could just be indigestion or gas.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad someone started this thread. The best thing about Lucas is how he stewarded this site in the best way possible -- hands on, but hands off -- if that makes any sense. The fact is, you can't please everyone, and he realized that and kept an even temper and gave everyone a free hand in making the board into what they wanted. Even when he took unfair grief from some people, he just never let it get to him. He has the perfect temperament to run a board of this kind.

I can speak with certainty that this place was a labor of love for him -- he really cares about this site as much as the most ardent users -- and I suspect that is why he held onto it for so long. I also know, from what I have seen of Kenny so far, and knowing Lucas, that this wasn't done lightly. Lucas wouldn't have sold it to the people he did if he didn't have confidence that they will allow the board to keep the character most of us love, and if he didn't feel they could also do some things with it to make it into an even better industry resource. Lucas may have sold, but he still really cares about the place, and I am certain that care played a role in the decision, not just financials.

Can we find a newbie to fetch Lucas a beer?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

WE should be the ones fetching him a beer. ;) :'( :D

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

He wouldn't know what to do with it.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving us a place to make friends and have (usually) literate discussions, even if it's just in 5-7 word bits.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This place has gotten me through some tough times, times when I needed a laugh or a check that life was indeed still going on as usual someplace. I've learned about breaking news here, gotten excellent book, movie and TV show recommendations and made at least one friend. :) It's one of the first sites I look at when I get up and one of the last I check before I go to sleep. I'm excited to see what the future will bring and hopeful that the SportsJournalists.com I love will stay mostly the same. Huge thanks to Webby for hanging in there with us this long.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, Lucas. Thank you.

I hope this site stays the same, or if anything, evolves into something better. This place has given me plenty of laughs, helped keep my sanity when I had some certain a-holes living 50 feet from me, some great discussions, a thread that motivated me to write a fictional novel (Now, I need a thread to motivate me to seek out an agent and publisher) and a great place to rant and rave about how unfair the world can be.

So once again, thanks Lucas, and good luck in your future.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I hope the newbie owner doesn't emulate current newspaper executives and fuck up a good thing.
    Hopefully, we will be able to carry on as we have. Dyno's post is pretty much my routine, too.
    I appreciate being able to come here in my morning, which is already afternoon in the east, and get an overview of the day's news with commentary and explanations to both sides of any question or controversy or situation. And then get a wrapup of whatever has happened before I crash.

One suggest I have is for the newbie to zero everybody's post totals. Lets start fresh.

(((only kidding, just wanted to see if BYH drove his car off a cliff)))

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was referencing in relation to your average ESPN.com message section where I would have been likely to read:

"I like it hear cause even when peoples at ods they still rite in complete sentence's that make cents and things are spelled rite and have periods and such cause them too things is importent."

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving me a place to waste time. Somehow, I've still managed to learn a lot about my craft.

Draft saved Draft deleted