1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Len P: Please be more tasteful in the phrasing of your Vick stories

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Am I out of line in thinking that many of the phrases authored today by Len Pasquarelli evoked images of dog-fighting?

Several teammates even wondered aloud, in conversations with ESPN.com, how Vick had managed to retain such remarkable focus in the teeth of a gathering storm.

But now that Vick has officially been dragged into the fight, indicted on two felony counts by a federal court...

The electrifying Vick is soon to be zapped by the catcalls of those who have already made up their minds about him.

Able to stay above the fight to this point...

In the July 7 column cited above, we noted that Vick should not exhale just yet. On Tuesday, his breathing just got a lot more labored.

Jesus Len. Did you really need to make a reference to electrocution?! Labored breathing? Christ.

2. This had to be intentional. And beyond stupid.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In a hard-news story like that, there's no need to make any of those references. None.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mods may feel free to move this of course, but Len's column offended me and I thought it merited discussion on its own.

Edit: Oz, I saw it as a column, since it was run w/Len's mug shot. But it was still insanely offensive.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured it must have been a column. But with Vick being such a hard-news story, you have to treat it as such, even in columns.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The vision of Vick getting "zapped" made me cringe, too.
    I think the headline on this (or another) ESPN article was, "Dog Days Ahead."
    I'm sure there will be plenty more uncomfortable lines and heads to come from all outlets.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, this had to be intentional.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's awful.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Len is a card carrying PETA member, and he does not seem to be too pleased with Mr. Vick.

An editor should have caught this.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Beyond tastelsss, even for ESPN.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anyone else think Len is just pissed because he wrote that Vick wouldn't be indicted, just a few weeks ago?

That's ok though. Somewhere, right now, in an ESPN the Magazine budget meeting, someone is already pitching the "Vick is Mizzunderstood" story.

Haterz.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Redskins bloggers and PETA unite!

Draft saved Draft deleted