1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline, don't know names. Yet.

Knoxville News Sentinel announces layoffs. 13 in the newsroom, 2 in sports.

Dear Co-worker:

Over the last 20 years we have all been involved in many changes throughout the News Sentinel. Change has been constant, and we have all adjusted to the changes and moved forward in the best way possible. Today I am announcing another change that is necessitated by today’s business environment. Starting this morning, we are announcing a reduction in force, and we will be communicating to over 50 of our co-workers that their jobs have been eliminated.

The changes will affect just about every department at the News Sentinel and other products and services within the KNS Media Group.

We have made every effort to avoid eliminating positions – from reducing costs and not filling open positions, to enacting both involuntary and voluntary separation plans previously in 2008. However, current economic conditions and challenges based on cost realities make internal staffing changes necessary.

The media world is changing dramatically for consumers and advertisers. Today’s consumers have more and more choices when it comes to news and product information, plus more information outlets are chasing fewer advertising dollars. Media outlets across the country are making changes to reflect the new trends in audience preferences.

Each major department is restructuring to be more efficient and address changing audience desires. The content restructuring of our core product will combine some sections and maintain a focus on local news, breaking news, sports and business news. We are moving to one edition on certain days and also will reduce distribution in a few outlying counties on the fringe of our circulation area. You will hear more specifics about these changes in the coming week.

We will be communicating to the public about our change but if you should be contacted by outside media please refer them to Deanene Catani, our marketing director, and she will handle the communication. Any columns, blogs, statements on talk radio, etc. must be approved in advance by me.

I know that this is difficult for everyone, and it is extremely difficult for me to make this announcement. However, it is also a time of tremendous opportunity for the KNS Media Group as we look towards our future. I am counting on you to help us through this difficult time of transition as we make the changes needed to prosper in these challenging economic times.

Sincerely,

Bruce

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"Involuntary separation plans"

Fuck off and die, you corporate lackey.

Also, since this paper is Guild, I'm assuming layoffs are seniority-based. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless your paper has a very, very strong union (a couple still exist) I doubt seniority would be the lone deciding factor since a lot of places are targeting the higher salaries...

4. Death

Death Member

Mizzou is right. The losses in sports are two great guys, I'm told. One was a long-time desker, Roland Julian, and another used to be the preps editor, Mark Burgess, who busted his ass on his new UT beat and seemed to do a good job. When I heard the names, I was shocked, because Sports is one of the few sections that helps that paper make money, even when UT's in a down year. Source is pretty reliable so if anyone else can verify ...

The union's president I believe was one of the group let go, but the cuts were across a wide swath of age/salary, though no one was really on the low-end of the payscale.

Evidently there was a meeting at 11 to let everyone know the news and some may be asked to stay on through the year (not sure who).

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ugh. Good luck to those laid off and those who remain.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Roland Julian was an old-time desker when I interned there . . . 26 years ago.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's tough.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Mark is good people. If he's out, that's not a smart move by the News-Sentinel. I believe his wife is a photographer for the newspaper.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is apparently Scripps wide - other papers in the chain are being hit as we speak.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Absolutely stupid and unbelievably short-sighted for that paper to cut a sports position at any time, especially when UT is in the middle of its first nationwide coaching search in three decades. UT info sells that paper, and it sells well, especially on the weekend.

Thoughts and prayers to good people who didn't deserve this.

Fuck this business.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Didn't Burgess win an APSE just last year?
    I'm pretty sure that he did.
    To echo others, Mark is good people and very good at his job.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I've heard the same. It's a bad day to be a Scripps employee. Good luck to all of 'em ... still there or on the way out the door.

Draft saved Draft deleted