1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 5, 2008.

1. doctorx

doctorx Member

I think Brent Kallestad also has to do capitol and other news-side stuff out of Tallahassee for the AP.

That said, the readers aren't served well by that set-up and Bob deserves a chance somewhere.

2. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Bob's one of the great ones in this business. Always looking for that interesting statistic or fact that others miss on the surface. Always trying to help the readers understand why things happened, not just telling them that they happened.

And most importantly, never willing to compromise his ethics when others would. A lot of people cut corners to get the story first, but Bob doesn't. And I will always respect him for that. He's also a great friend.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let me just say that I'm getting damn tired of writing/reading these tributes to good people who have been kicked to the curb. And I think it's repulsive that the people on the front lines are getting whacked because of the incompetencies of corporate leadership. (And this isn't a knock on Morris or anyone in particular, but the industry as a whole.)

* Let's invest heavily in the Web, but give the product away for free.

* Let's pile up gobs of debt, instead of being responsible during great economic times.

* Let's hire weak and young (read: cheap) reporters and copy editors, invest little to nothing in their training, and then act alarmed when people are turned off by the shoddy work.

I could go on and on, but I won't. We all know the issues. We all know where this is heading. Just a shame to watch it unfold, when much of it could have been prevented.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know in the past some of the papers who have had a writer in Tallahassee to cover FSU have had to do some government stuff as well. I remember seeing some bylines on the 2000 recount from Tampa's FSU writer. I'm spacing his name, Carlson, I think... I remember asking someone about that and was told that was the norm for that paper.

4. Mizzougrad96

If I'm the FSU writer for the Orlando Sentinel, the Miami Herald, or the St. Pete Times, I think I would be scared shitless.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really can understand some papers cutting back on FSU coverage, but couldn't they kick someone else to the curb and at least offer to bring the guys back from Tallahassee?

6. Mizzou

It was Doug Carlson and I remember he was "thrilled" to hear from me around April and the dreaded words, "Hey Doug what are you doing the third week of April?" "Nothing why?" "Well we have state tennis going on..." Actually Doug was a good sport and did well with that.

Scott Carter, on the other hand ... Well, I won't say anything about that. Just joshin Scott - you know that. Hope your doing well.

Going back to the Dean Rock of Ages and Matt Hayes. I remember Matt coming in to talk to Dean that day and sitting their five minutes after I met with Dean. We talked Matt's impending leave to the Sporting News, Dean's flooded family room and well that was as long as I met with Dean. Now I see why Matt was leaving on the heels of Mike B. leaving for Orlando.

7. Mizzougrad96

That would make too much sense. Plus, these places aren't targeting people, they're targeting beats and salaries. Very little thought is given like, "Is the person we're letting go, 1,000X more talented than the ones we're keeping?"

8. Mizzougrad96

I've only heard good things about Chet. I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about Rock.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It seems Jacksonville is only slightly more humane than some of the other companies out there. It just didn't strike me as being any grand gesture on their part to let him stay on until he's eligible for Social Security.

Remember, you can start drawing benefits at 62. The full bennies don't kick in until 65. And that's going to change to 67.

It still feels like a firing, period. Even though Ed Gamble gets a few months of employment longer, it's still going on the chopping block.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, fortunately for the Sentinel and Sun-Sentinel, it's a shared resource, which makes it way more justifiable.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This has been going on LOOOOONNNNNNGGGG before this site was up and running. It's an accepted practice. Only until the subscribers scream at the coverage that something will be done.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Five years ago, Bob kicked my back side up and down the block in covering the ACC expansion derby. This is another big loss for the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted