1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It can't be 401k. Could mean health benefits

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Morris Communications has never been a welcomed neighbor to the Duval County business community. Billy Bob showed that when he purchased the company from CSX more than 20 years ago and cleaned house right before the holidays. The move didn't set well with many.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nothing yet - may not hear anything final tonight (I'm working and can't check as frequently). But this would be big in a very bad way.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Un-real. It is true.
    Bob Thomas, the FSU beat writer, was among those laid off. To his credit, SE Chet Fussman drove to Tallahassee to deliver the news.
    Another point in the "quality don't count for shit" department. It's all in the numbers.
    I'm told he's taking it as well as can be expected and may stay as a correspondent. But higher ups haven't approved.

Also at the T-U: Assistant SE Justin Hathaway leaving of his own volition. Going to NFL.com - for the job that was posted here.

I'm told more cuts coming tomorrow but sports isn't supposed to get hit.

It got hit hard enough today.

Wow. Just. Fucking. Wow.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think there was a formula (if you can call it that) for letting Bob go Moddy.
    Again, Morris Communications hasn't been a friendly place for the people of J-ville.
    I'm curious to see what happens in Savannah and Augusta.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Putting Fussman head and shoulders above the Tampa tools.

Bob and the other T-U folks reading this, good luck. And if you're inside One Riverside Drive, please remember to register with an untraceable username before you post here. ;) Or just e-mail Moddy at the address on his profile.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Just awful. Bob is one of the good guys - and at least Chet Fussman showed some class by driving to tell him the news (which is more guts than we can say for the jerks in Tampa). But J-ville cutting its coverage is yet another sign this industry is in serious trouble.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Amen. The TU has long been good on covering things.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Jesus. That is awful for Bob, a good guy who has done great work on that beat for a long time. Class move by Chet to drive out there, but it's a sad fucking commentary on this business that he had to make the trip.

It's been said too many times already, on this board and elsewhere, but if this business doesn't have space for a guy like Bob Thomas...well, it just plain sucks.

11. Scott Carter

Scott Carter New Member

Mind-boggling to me that major daily newspapers in Jacksonville and Tampa see it no longer feasible to cover FSU; just shows how inept management is at certain papers when they can't figure out a way to sell some ads to a very passionate fan base to support the salary of a beat writer covering not just a popular state program, but still a national one as long as Bowden keeps showing up on Saturdays...

Talked to Bob for a few minutes tonight, and he's intent on making best of a bad situation...he's still in shock stage right now, then he'll go into angry stage, then perhaps a depressed stage, then a wtf-am-I'm-going-to-do-next? phase...

He did appreciate the fact SE drove over to see him; anyway, bob is good people and I just wanted to post a note of support here since so many did when I lost my gig few months back...hope many of you will give him a shout next few weeks like you did with me...believe me, it helps

12. trench

trench Member

Really sucks. Worked with Bob for a number of years there - I left when the writing on the wall got too big to ignore. Good luck to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted