1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 5, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

like?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Editorial cartoonists are a dying breed.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just another note from my birdie:

Ed Gamble will be allowed to stay until June when he is eligible for social security.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Well that's real big of them!

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Actually, that is pretty good of them. He's given a lot of his time to that company and I'm sure has decent money from the profit sharing (one of the good things about Morris)... but most companies wouldn't give a shit right now about taking care of someone long term. Maybe he wasn't ready to retire, but if they were going to let him go, then this is at least a somewhat human way to do it.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

More news:

They canceled retirement as part of the severance package. Two of the voluntary buyout people from the copy desk are reconsidering.

Today's layoffs so far: Two features reporters: One who covered fashion and trends, the other covered Travel and society events. Also let go was an assistant photo editor.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

"Beating around the bush" is the best way to avoid thinking about all these layoffs.

I think you all know what I mean.

GIGGITY!!!

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What do you mean "cancelled retirement?"

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

"Canceled retirement" = They changed the buyout contract so that it doesn't include retirement benefits. The voluntary buyout folks have until the end of tomorrow to sign the contracts. Since the package has changed, a couple of people are reconsidering it.

10. But you do have a web site that requires people to produce and likely will be the foundation of your business model some time in the future. The inability of newspaper exectives to realize this and staff accordingly are dooming the industry.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Still don't get it. They can't take your 401K away from you, depleted as it is.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just heard some noise out of here that, if true (and it comes from a repeated and reliable member of The Pipeline) will just stun the living shit out of me.
    Stay tuned, I'll be back.

Draft saved Draft deleted