1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Geno Auriemma, (running women's thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Apr 6, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Re: Dear Geno Auriemma,

Hey, she's won seven championships. She must be doing something right.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

True. Defense and rebounding don't slump as frequently as perimeter shooting.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sounds like I could be Pat Summit's demon spawn. I was watching a women's basketball game as a fan a few rows behind the team's bench. The team I was watching was from my community college was destroying the other team to the tune of a 41-point halftime lead.

One of the girls on the team made some stupid play she'd never have tried in a close game and I yelled, "c'mon, keep your head in the game!" One of the assistant coaches looked back at me as if to say "you took the words right out of our mouths."

Even as a fanboi looser, I think as a coach.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The good coaches know offense is prone to come and go. But defense and rebounding are more about effort and sweat equity. I know a couple of high school girls coaches who are like that.

Shoot poorly? It happens. But no effort in rebounding and not moving your feet on defense? Not so much.

5. Faithless

Faithless Member

Van's at his best when a reporter asks him about feeling pressure before a big game. Over the years I've heard Van give similar answers to the "pressure" question ...

He'll say real pressure is a single mom with three kids and $40 in the bank. Another time it's a single mom with four kids and $30 in the bank. The bigger the game, the pressure situation increases. For a Final Four game, he might say real pressure is a single mom living in a car with three kids and $30 in the bank.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Auriemma is one of the most media-friendly coaches I've ever met. Is his ego out of control? Probably. But he's done a lot of winning in a state that adores him. He always treated me exceedingly well.

7. Hammer Pants

I've heard that Geno is a lot like Spurrier, that he's great for sound bites and seems like a hoot but can be a real pain in the ass for every day beat writers.

Admittedly, the times I've dealt with him have generally been entertaining as hell.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I hear she has this winning thing down Pat.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can't believe LSU is still in this with that foul shooting.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If those aren't peaches, what the hell are they? Tangerines?

11. Hammer Pants

The Memphis men, too? Maybe this is the year you can get away with that.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Millions of peaches. Peaches for me. Millions of peaches. Peaches for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted