1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Geno Auriemma, (running women's thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't know how I feel about the whistleblowing itself, as I said. I do know how I feel about lauding one over the other in this particular situation.

I don't think Summitt should be lauded for "avoiding the fight." If he said some things before, that's on him. But Tennessee brought the atom bomb. Like he was jabbing, jabbing, dancing, running his mouth, and then she just kicked him in the balls.

She went above Auriemma's head, to the NCAA, and won without any "fight." He spouted off to the press, she wielded a knife in the dark. Two excellent coaches who have no qualms about smacking each other while trying to present themselvs as above it all. No high road there.

As for the violations (and NightOwl's post perfectly illustrates my point re: Auriemma's a prick, so bring out the glee; but if roles were reversed, he'd likely still be the bad guy) . . . . apparently the NCAA only jumped on the ESPN visit, according to the story. Maybe there's more, but this particular matter seems like it's closed.

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Piotr, he wasn't just jabbing, jabbing and dancing, was he?

He was violating recruiting rules.

He's a prick, and he doesn't like getting kicked in the balls.

Now he's bitching about it, but he deserved a good swift kick in the balls, didn't he?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He was accused of violations, only one of which has appeared to stick.

Sure, he deserved a swift kick, even for that one, which ultimately is a pretty stupid violation. But there is an eagerness to believe the allegations - likely because of the fact he's a well-documented jerk - that gives me pause.

Draft saved Draft deleted