1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear FOX: Not everyone has a flat-screen TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

IJAG: They didn't steal your 27 in. tube TV because they couldn't back their truck up to your door and forgot their dolly at their last burglary. ... Seriously though, tube TVs suck. I gave my last one to a friend a couple years ago, a 33 incher that weighed about as much as a battleship, on the condition they'd never try to give it back to me. That TV has now been sitting in the same apartment ever since, despite the fact that about three groups of renters have come and gone. It may not be possible to move it again.

Tube tvs are nearly worthless on the open market. Very few people actively want them. Goodwill and the like refuse to take them. You even have to pay the dump to take them.

All that said, if you're happy with what you have, knock yourself out.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We've been HD since we finished our house three years ago.
    I can tell the difference. It does not really enhance my viewing experience.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

In my day, we didn't have any of these fancy flat panel TV's. We had one tube television in town -- a 19 inch black and white Philco with rabbit ears. And we'd all huddle 'round to watch the football game. You'd squint at the fuzzy picture until your eyes bled, and you thought 'oh, no! Maybe I shouldn't have squinted so hard at the TV until my eyes bled.' But it was too late! Your eyes were red as little berries, and birds were pecking them out. And flobbledeflee! We had bloody eyes that turned into bird food. And that's the way it was. And WE LIKED IT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

They didn't steal the regular tv because pawn shops don't buy the non-HD's.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There is a difference between flat screen and flat panel TVs. You can have a CRT set that has a flat screen.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"I no longer get customer support for my beeper!!"

8. turski7

turski7 Member

Watching an old tube TV is unbearable. I just can't watch standard def anymore, especially sports, where it does make a difference. Everything is so much more clear. I'm nearly blind without my contacts, and watching standard def with my contacts makes me feel like I don't have my contacts in.
    You'd have to pry my 46-inch flat screen and HD service from my cold, dead fingers to ever get me to watch standard def on a tube again.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with the new HD projectors? I am thinking of putting one in our basement.

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Seriously, I have for years hated FOX for all kinds of reasons. While annoying sound effects, dirt-cam and Steve Lyons have gone away, what's the address where I would write them a complaint?

Draft saved Draft deleted