1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear FOX: Not everyone has a flat-screen TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Did you have HD channels?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And before ijag gets back ... *Then* ... :)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1. We had a discussion on here years ago. Also been proven through my conversations with friends: For some reason, women see it less.
    2. Fuck you, ucacm.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have a small HDTV in my bedroom, and I don't have HD channels and it looks OK to me. But my 46-incher's picture is head-and-shoulders better. The non-HD programming looks like garbage on my larger set. Never heard the women-see-it-differently theory. Interesting, but not sure what to make of that.

5. imjustagirl

Not specific to this, but I think saying "Men are more sensitive to fine detail and things that move rapidly, but women are better at differentiating between colors" would explain part of the HDTV thing.

http://www.wafb.com/story/19460276/men-women-really-do-see-things-differently

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. That's pretty interesting.

7. imjustagirl

I mean, if I really looked at it, I could see a little clearer. But the "OMG YOU CAN SEE INDIVIDUAL BLADES OF GRASS!" I never got that, nor did I get why it would matter.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It also explains why women have 80 different names for RED. :D

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The thing that freaked me out was when you start noticing the shadows during a night game, especially with soccer. There is a little X surrounding all the players as they move around from the lights shining from all directions. Once you notice it, it drives you nuts. And gold in HD is amazing. Yes, I watch soccer and golf sometimes. Back off!

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

We have two flat screens in the office. Despite changing screen ratios and whatnot, the cutting off of graphics still persists.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dear Wolv,
    Lose the Philco and the coat hanger antenna and step into the 2000s.
    Am sure you can find a good deal on line with your TRS-80.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Here in Podunkopolis, the cable company doesn't letterbox the Fox standard def channel, so the scorebox gets cut off no matter how you have the picture set. The only way to see the box is to watch the Fox HD channel. (Standard def is 14, HD is 2014).

The company that operates the CBS and Fox stations uses its CBS station's 7.2 channel to broadcast Fox's signal in letterbox standard def for those who don't have HD TVs. But the cable company doesn't pluck that signal and use it on cable channel 14. They just take Fox HD and if you don't have an HD set, tough shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted