1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fucking Broncos.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, but ... that's a perfectly fine expectation for the local readers, and that includes me as a reader, too. Isn't it? The local teams have natural prominence where the paper circulates, so it's both logical and practical to stack them higher in statistics. Not favoritism, though, but mindful convenience, too.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I used to send out the emails of league standings to the coaches. More than once, I'd get an email saying, basically, "We beat the guys we're tied with. Shouldn't we be listed above them?"

Sorry, but your league doesn't use tie-breakers, so tied teams are listed by overall record, then in alphabetical order. Take it up with your league commissioner.

I had only one league in my area that did use tie-breakers — a thing that's rare among Kansas high schools. Tied teams remain tied no matter the outcome of the game(s) between them.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is it really a tie-breaker if it has the exact opposite effect?

5. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Alphabetical. Be consistent and it saves a lot of headaches. Do you really want to tell a reader Prep is a quarter-mile closer than High, so we list it first?

6. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

When someone calls after Week 1 and bitches because the home team isn’t listed first, tell them it’s right because they lost the ninth tiebreaker against the other tied teams. Let them go find out there are only six ways to break a tie (or whatever the number is).

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Back in the day, we sometimes struggled with the team managers who called in high school football scores. They were mostly teenage girl volunteers who didn't know the game and had to be walked through the whole thing.

An editor at a local weekly became so vexed, he wrote a column about it, and straight out stated the girls only did it to meet boys.

He quit the next day.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

If he hadn't quit he should've been fired.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dear dimwit posting high school girls volleyball roster on MaxPreps: Eight players listed at 3-foot-0? I'm looking forward to seeing this!

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Won't have to worry about any net violations from them.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kind of like that summer basketball league they had with no players taller than 6-5.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

My all time favorite call came when I was in Jacksonville
    “Hey buddy. Did Bill Elliott win the pole in Martinsville?”
    “No, sir. That was in today’s paper.”
    “I don’t get the paper. Don’t be an asshole.”

MNgremlin, maumann, dixiehack and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted