1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

This bugs. If he can't amplify what he does without tearing someone else down, he needs to hush. Shaking my head... That was "Finding the Good Person You Can Be 101" for my middle schoolers.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Wow, I can't believe this thread has been inactive for so long, it used to be the gem of this board. Is it a sad commentary that so few of us are left to pick up the phone at a news outlet?

fossywriter8, maumann and sgreenwell like this.
  3. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Dear idiot in my inbox?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, it would probably be depressing if we did a poll about the number of people on this board *actually* still drawing a full-time paycheck as a sports reporter. (Hell, I only would have qualified for about two or three years since graduating college in 2007.)

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Amazingly, I am.

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Been almost six years since a full-time paycheck.
    Haven't drawn a part-time one since April. I think it was April.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

With this post, this thread enters its 11th year. And I have made many contributions. But I've been out of the business for a year and a half, so I don't have anything else to share.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I could expound on my experiences working with craft breweries and winery owners and the head shaking I have emailing some of them ... but yeah, I left the sports biz in late 2015.

9. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Yeah, left the biz 7 years ago and in my new field don't deal with calls or really emails much. I am lucky. But don't get me started on dimwit coworkers :)

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Given the state of the country these days, we could just leave it at, “Dear Dimwits...” and get this thread to 100,000 pages.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I moved from journalism to being a political staffer just over a year ago. I could add many new stories.

12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Would love to share stories, but put in a total of maybe 20 hours of work since the middle of March.....no calls to answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted