1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Stuff like this is why I'm thankful for the KHSAA. Rosters on team pages for baseball, basketball, soccer, softball and volleyball and even field hockey, which isn't that big a sport in this state.

And they usually do a good job of making sure coaches/schools/ADs keep their stuff up-to-date, too.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Well, at least a third of them scored.

3. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I've never understood this, or why it's always only girls' teams that do it. About the only thing worse is scorekeepers with such bad handwriting that you have to ask what every name says.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They must have flunked out because they were suffering from morning sickness.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Dimwit question here......but this time I'm the dimwit with the question.

What's the general rule on reusing quotes? I'm not talking about ridiculous amounts, but rather just a time or two.

Did a long interview with a coach. Touched on multiple topics with a plan to get a few stories out of the interview. But how careful do I need to be that my quotes don't overlap with a quote I already used from that interview? Or doesn't it matter at all? The stories are both in the Podunk Press published a week apart in this example, so how do I attribute it if I were to use it again?

Option A: ," Coach told the Podunk Press last week.
    Option B: ," Coach said last week.
    Option C: ," Coach said.
    Option D: Something else

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

If these are two separate conversations, in the interest of transparency you should distinguish which is which.

But that's not a bad thing, particularly if you're comparing and contrasting his thoughts from a week ago.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dear Dimwits posting on our Facebook page,

I'm sorry you think we aren't being "positive" in regards to your school's girls' basketball team, and that you didn't like the headline that said "Podunk enjoys rare taste of victory."
    Maybe if they'd won more than one game before that, and didn't lose their other 10 by an average of 25 points apiece, we'd have a little more reason to be "positive."

SFIND likes this.
  8. Dear Dimwit on Twitter,

I'm sorry I didn't tweet the final score of your son's basketball game. From Saturday. Nor the next day, a Sunday. I don't work every day of the week.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I hate people who don't bother to read a Facebook post, they just react to make it look like they give a damn.

News post with link to story: Police have shut down Country Bypass Road while they investigate an accident resulting in multiple fatalities

Poster: I hope eberybody (sic) is safe!

Did you not read the fucking sentence? No "eberybody" in a multiple fatal accident is not safe

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obviously, we don't post pictures of bodies or the names before the families are notified. But we have occasionally posted pictures of the wreck scene -- which people get bent out of shape about because, apparently, everybody in town knows who was driving the silver Camry that is wrapped around the tree.
    Even with the last wreck, we held off on publishing the names on a fatality for most of an afternoon and STILL caught hell about it when a nearby TV station posted them with its story.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Like a few years back, when we ran a story about a wreck involving teens and included the routine line, "Police are looking to see if drugs or alcohol were involved." Well! You would have thought we'd implied they were all drunks, druggies, both or worse!

EDIT: Changes line I put in quotation marks.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A local company responds to accident scenes to get pictures and such.

They always blur out any distinguishing marks in their pics, like tattoos on someone or identifying marks on cars.

When my dad had his motorcycle wreck this summer, they blurred out the tat on his right arm -- and I and my sisters were thankful for that.

The guy behind the group still gets his fair share of grief for posting the pictures, but he does everything within his power to make sure a loved one doesn't find out about via Facebook.

Draft saved Draft deleted