1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When you pause for 20 ... 30... 40 ... seconds in the middle of calling in an event, and the phone goes dead, it isn't an accident.

When you're carrying on three, four, five conversations in the middle of calling in an event, and keep losing your place, and the phone goes dead, that isn't an accident either.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What's your point here? Please translate.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Talk or he's hanging up.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And make sure the fucking score by quartrs are added up before you call.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yuppers, I don't have time to wait patiently with bated breath while the caller gets their shit together.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

You still get phone calls?

Dear Dimwit at the Fax Machine,

Please make sure you're writing legibly and/or faxing the document right side up.

Dear Dimwit at the Computer,

Please make sure that the link you send me for your stats at Digital Scout or Max Preps is actually working before you send it to me.

Either that or call (oh, right, you don't call anymore...my bad) and make sure the format you're sending your document is one my computer can open.

Thanks,

Ape.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Dear Middle School Basketball Coach:

Ordinarily we don't have space for middle school results. But when you call from the bus ride home with 25 giggling middle schoolers all bugging you at the same time, and you call every time, win or lose, well then, that kind of initiative and effort just has to be rewarded, or there's no justice left in the world.

I wish our high school coaches would follow your example.

Thank you,

Fishwrap Sports Editor

OscarMadison and Travis Smith like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dear parental unit(s) of JV star:
    Please note that all we run on JV and frosh games is the score. No, we're not going to make an exception because the team is playing their archrival, or they're undefeated, or any other reason you can waste my time with. And if they don't make varsity next year and won't get their name in a box score any other way, that's not my problem. Have a nice day!

Travis Smith likes this.
  9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

jv teams have archrivals?

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. The teams that beat them when they were freshmen.

dixiehack likes this.
  11. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Dear scorekeeper of the little private school girls basketball team:

When you fill out the scorebook, get the freaking last names of the other team. We ain't-a gonna run a box score with just Brandi, Meagan, Courtney and Melinda in it.

And if you're keeping score of a softball game, just because somebody on either team hit the freaking ball, that doesn't mean it was a base hit, dammnit.

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Fax? Why don't you just send it over on a dinosaur?

Draft saved Draft deleted