1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Dick Clark...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

That's your opinion. It's not mine, and it's not the opinion of others on this board. I'm also not sure what you mean by "overcoming," which is a word I don't think I used.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It's about dignity, and Dick has obviously sold his. Long ago.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Let me get straight on this line of reasoning, though. Is Dick Clark to bring down the entertainment value of ABC's New Year's Eve show every year as long as he wants to ... because he's earned that right?

Well, I know at least one guy who would agree with that ...

[​IMG]

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

People using the "TV is entertainment" argument forget that TV and the movies barrage us with tragic illness and mishap (strokes, disfiguring accidents, etc.), but usually the "makeup artist" variety. If Dick Clark wants to be part of a Dick Clark television show that shows you the real thing, don't watch it if it bothers you.

The movie "Mask" features a depiction of a young man with a horribly misshapen face. It was a movie. Aren't movies entertainment? Supposedly, by the definition of "entertainment medium" on this thread, we're not supposed to see something that isn't pretty.

And before you say people who saw "Mask" knew what they were getting into before they went, it sure seems to me people on here were well-versed in Dick Clark's post-stroke appearance and still chose to watch last night.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I read your original post as saying something other than your intent, obviously. I was wrong. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

But I just think there's a difference between someone with Down's Syndrome or Parkinson's on TV, who are likely there to make a point. Likely, someone with either of those would not be hosting a show so much as being used as an example that a.) It can happen to anyone and b.) It shouldn't lead to shunning.

Taking it a step further, and anyone who has ever had a conversation with me knows I'm the queen of bad analogies...but bear with me. Everyone's killing the woman on the j-topics board for saying that sports is hamhandedly dealing with the Kevin Everett thing because being disabled doesn't mean that you're "not a whole person." But people who have accidents or strokes or whatever else may not be capable of doing what they once did. Is it fair? No. But it's a fact, sometimes. Obviously, we disagree on whether Dick Clark can still do his job.

But I don't think I'm saying he doesn't deserve to be on TV, or anything of the sort. I'm just not sure that, in his current condition, he's at a level at which he should be doing what he's doing.

6. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i came to terms with the clark/new year's eve issue the first year post-stroke. i was horrified and it bummed me out.

i decided then that new year's eve parties were about MY excitement and enthusiasm, not clark's stubborn refusal to step aside. so i knew then i have the same power we all do -- to watch another station!

it's easy to do. really. i don't let clark bring me down BY WATCHING ANOTHER STATION'S COUNTDOWN!!

so, clark's happy and i'm happy. no problem.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, FRIENDS. ;D ;D ;D

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

And there's the answer. People don't watch, ratings go down. Ratings go down, show changes. People vote with their clickers.

9. As hard/sad as it was to watch Dick Clark, I found Ryan Seagrest to be a goddamn embarrassment. Talk about someone whose 15 minutes have passed.

He opened an interview with Michael Bloomberg by asking who the mayor's "friend" was standing beside him. It was, um, his daughter. The implication, being, of course, that Seagrest thought the mayor was his, well, you know, "friend." Then Seagrest ended the interview by calling Bloomberg "buddy." I don't feel one way or the other about Bloomberg, but that was ridiculous.

One other thing: Last year, Seagrest tried kissing Christina Aguilera after the ball dropped, and she couldn't turn her head fast enough. She looked extremely uncomfortable. This year, Carrie Underwood wasn't on screen for a couple of minutes after the ball dropped. We were all laughing that Christina warned her that Ryan would try to slip her the tongue.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Seacrest out.

11. Sorry, spelled his last name wrong. He sucks anyway you want to spell his name.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm entertained by some of the innocuous things that get fought over around here sometimes. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted