1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Dick Clark...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 31, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

ABC will take the money for it and not care what it looks like.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree with your first sentence as far as his first year post-stroke. Apparently he was in very bad shape but worked hard to get back on air. Very much respect that.

Can he leave on his terms? Apparently so, but as such a longtime TV personality I'd have hoped Clark would have had better judgment about how much "entertainment" he is providing in comparison to his status as a NYE icon. It's kinda like Johnny U in the Chargers jersey.

3. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Didn't watch last night, but after reading this thread, I had to YouTube "Dick Clark" and see what the fuss was about.

Not exactly the clearest video, but seriously ... Fuck. You. Guys.

I thought he looked solid — energetic even — especially after a stroke.

Grow a heart in 2008, will ya?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That was bad?

Hell, his last two years were much, much worse.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i gotta admit, the comments under the youtube vid were much nicer than here.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Terence ... get this.

A television show like this isn't supposed to be a test of how how much uncomfortableness we can take. Doesn't matter if it's our problem, if it's a problem.

Sorry if it's harsh, but there's a reason "pretty people" wind up behind the mike. Because it's an entertainment medium.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

If Dick Clark didn't own the program, he wouldn't be on the air. Period.

His being on the air is strictly an exercise in ego and people telling him how good he looks. You notice he doesn't do any other shows?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

One of my friend's resolution was to not make fun of anyone. By 12:04 a.m., after a back-handed comment toward Dick Clark, he failed. Then, while we were downstairs a couple hours later, another friend came down and stuttered as he was trying to tell a story and the original guys says -- in a Helen Keller-esque voice, "Welcome to Brian's Rockin' New Years Eve." Brian went right back upstairs.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I watched it with my kids, talked about watching it since I was a kid and we discussed Clark's stroke.

Good for him. I'm glad he did the show and hope he does it again.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

which is another good point.

you fuckers are making it hard for me to take a stand on this one.

11. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I'm not saying it's supposed to be a test, but sometimes real life intrudes upon the fantasy known as television. It's amazing how uncomfortable it can make people who are used to only seeing pretty people there.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh please. This isn't about overcoming. It's about a man obviously on the downturn of his life, playing out the final years being poked and prodded and prettied up for our entertainment. It's NOT entertainment, and someone should care enough about him to at least try to make him see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted