1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Dick Clark...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My wife and I had it on to Dick Clark, but after we spoke, we couldn't watch it anymore. Just couldn't.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I saw his address just after 12 and that's all I saw. Thank goodness that's all I saw. It is certainly sad. Although, that said, he's asking to do this every year. He's not being forced to. You have to admire the man's courage.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He looks like a robotic Frankenstein.

Someone should tell him to walk away. It will ALWAYS be his show. This is completely uncalled for.

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

sad to see dick clark like that

still comes across better than that Ryan Seacrest dude

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm was almost convinced he wasn't live.

Then I realized they couldn't possibly tape that and then think it would have been a good idea to show it.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Dear Dick Clark,

You're too old for this shit called self-humiliation. Stay home on Dec. 31, 2008 and enjoy your pension.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Gotta say it: Nothing quite rings in the new year on a happy note like watching folks roll out an American icon to slur his way through that. What, what Muhammed Ali not available to breakdance?

Early entrant for Downer of the Year: Watching that. Thanks for the uplifting moment, ABC.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

The problem is he owns the show.
    It's such a tradition and powerhouse for ABC, they'll never say "no, you can't".

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Give us a retrospective. A greatest hits show. Let him say "Happy New Year, I love you." Make the whole fucking thing about what an icon he will always be.

ANYTHING but what they threw out there tonight.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

ABC has hired technicians to work on next year's show:

[​IMG]

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why is it humiliating for Dick Clark to appear on TV? Why is it humiliating for a man who suffered a massive stroke to show he can still go on and conduct his business? He might not be able to speak perfectly, but it seemed like he knew what he was saying. He buried the countdown. It sounded like his mind was working just fine. You're going to complain now about what he looks like after the guy's had a million plastic surgeries to look like he does at age 80 or whatever?

More power to Dick Clark for having the balls to go on national televison when everyone's watching and not be his best. It's an inspiration for others.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Have to wonder if the wife is propping up there for the money. Or if Dick is an attention-junkie.

Draft saved Draft deleted