1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Chuck Klosterman...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dead. To. Sportschick.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know.

Well are the other books a little more well rounded?

I listened to The Smiths (I know what he said about them), U2 and REM in high school because I thought hair bands were pretty awful.

Is everything he writes centered around Axle Rose?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Love Klosterman. Can't wait to read Downtown Owl. It's next up after Pearlman's Cowboys book, which I am reading in giant chunks because it's so engrossing.

Klosterman's gift is that he can make something that means nothing sound so profound. For example, from the Salon article linked above:

Except that he's not "embroidering it with its exact and glorious meaning." He's making something sound profound when it really means nothing, but it's really so meaningless that readers can make it mean whatever they want. And by doing so, they makes themselves part of a super cool exclusive club where people who don't get it are no-nothings, even though none of it means anything.

4. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Haven't read Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs yet, but I read IV over the summer and loved it. His novel will be on my list (there was a good excerpt of it on ESPN.com) and like TSP, I'm also flying through Boys Will Be Boys.

Has anyone here ventured out and tried fiction? I'm starting to give it serious thought.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

That was the funniest post I've read in awhile. I didn't know what the book was about, bought it and didn't like it because I didn't like the entire idea of the book. Classic. Thanks for chiming in! In other news, I bought Catcher in the Rye, and it had nothing to do with baseball. What a rip.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know it sounds odd, but why tell me half of what I am about to read before I even read it?

If I told you Rocky was a bout a boxer, and it was a very good movie, would you want to know more? Would you want to know every twist until the final fight?

I bought the book thinking it's written about a writer held in high esteem by this board, and it talks about his childhood in Fargo.

I was wrong.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Instead of answering the questions, I'm going to go on a three-page rant about the use of horses and special effects in 1980s music videos.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

My god, yes. Please do. Or should we give that it's own thread?

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Granny, I just did a spit take at your avatar.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG] > [​IMG]

11. zeke12