1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Chuck Klosterman...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're good.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's not my first time.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

this thread tripped me out... i 've never read Klosterman at all... and after this little thread, I don't know if I could.. freaks me out too much.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree. To a point. Not sure if it freaks me out, it just seems kind of dumb.

But I'll check one of his books out. If Double Down recommends, I will buy.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The 23 questions, if that's what you're judging him on, is one vignette between chapters. It would be like not going to see a movie because you don't like the font used in the credits.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh. I thought that was the basis for the book.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, hells no. Here's the intro:

The 23 questions I ask everybody I meet in order to decide if I can really love them.

that's it.

Anyway, the book is basically his rambling deconstruction of pop culture.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, I wouldn't get it even if I read it?

Well, I will still give it a shot when I find some money.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have them around here somewhere - if I find them, I'll send them to you.
    I enjoy Klosterman. I'll buy his novel.

Killing Yourself to Live? Was that the one asked about earlier?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

http://www.salon.com/books/int/2008/09/24/klosterman/

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

DD, I like Chuck's writing. He's talented. I also think he just slings it. He has a mind for minutia and a talent for spinning weird premises that sound deeper and more substantive than they really are. It's sophistry in a way, but not with evil purposes. He's smart and persuasive.

But when you sit back and think about what he just argued into a pretzel, you realize it's just an artful guy who can write and make something sound way more significant than it really is. He's the kind of guy who if you gave him a topic with two opposite opinions, he could convince a lot of people about the rightness of either side of the argument, and do it convincingly and in a really entertaining way. That's a talent. And he has a talent for writing in an entertaining way (well sometimes, not all the time).

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I bought Fargo Rock City a few weeks ago because of all the positive hype I have heard about Klosterman on this board. I have read about 50 pages, and I am done. The entire book is about hair bands? Really?

I guess I should have read the back cover.

I will admit that I never read the back cover or the preview of the book. I like it to unfold while I read it. For example, if I see that Baldacci has written a novel, I will just read it. All I need to know is other people like it and it's about a spy.

I guess I thought the book was about growing up in Fargo and not the historical significance of Def Leppard.

Draft saved Draft deleted