1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin_Rice, Aug 12, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

To be fair...I had no actual idea when Star Wars came out off the top of my head...I had to google it.

The only thing that got my "spidey senses" going was that on the back of the birth announcement for me from the local paper was the movie ad for the movie, so I figured it was wrong.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"The force is strong in this one ... "

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It also doesn't make sense because Northwestern didn't win. Why spend so much space in the top quarter of a gamer talking about what didn't happen?

4. spikechiquet

My guess is that since NW was leading late into the game, they had dug up the info and the writer decided to keep it in since he looked it up already! LOL

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hate when people say "such and such team."

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The entire sentence sucks. "Northwestern last won at Ohio State on Feb. 24, 1977." Throw that in the 19th paragraph, and you're good.

7. spikechiquet

They made the fix on the 2nd Write Thru...changed it from Star Wars and Red to Rocky and Carter in office.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't think it sucks. I think the intent, with the pop culture reference, is a nice touch. Gamers don't have to all be plays, stats and quotes. In fact, I kinda like it.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thank you for the lesson on journalism. I will keep that in mind.

10. KYSportsWriter

Just noticed that. I wonder why the change?

11. KYSportsWriter

You're on fire today.

12. spikechiquet

Well, the Star Wars part was wrong...not sure why the change for the Reds...they were the defending WS champs (swept the Yanks)...but then again, why was that pointed out? The World Series was in Oct. '76...maybe because spring training is starting? *shrugs*

Draft saved Draft deleted