1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin_Rice, Aug 12, 2012.

1. doctorx

doctorx Member

This

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Last night in the Transactions, AP wrote: KANSAS CITY CHIEFS -- Announced Coach Romeo Crennel relieved himself ..... of defensive coordinator duties.

Don't get pissy here, AP.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Worked my election shift tonight and, oh boy, did the AP put in a poor performance. First with the slowdown on AP Exchange, where we always get our pictures. You guys mean you didn't foresee the heavy use coming tonight? Geez, we're only having a presidential election.

Then, our A1 designer, kept waiting for the big Obama re-election story and we got a pedestrian story before his speech even started, then a 6-inch follow that we figured would be picked up and updated, then, nothing. I ended up just tacking the 6-inch new lead onto the previous story and that's what we ran with.

We've been getting constantly updated campaign stories running about 40 inches every day leading up to the election, and then when the election happens, the only thing we can get is a cobbled together 25-incher.

I'm telling you, if there was a competing wire service that we could sign up for, I would lobby for it hard.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not only did we have the AP Exchange issues, the wire went down, too.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Serious question here ... Is it just me, or is the AP getting much worse and much more careless in its writing, editing, coverage, etc.?

It seems I used to never find mistakes in AP copy back in the '80s and '90s but now they're everywhere. Anybody old enough to agree or disagree?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

There have always been mistakes in AP copy, and there always will be.

It would be nice if they at least mastered their own stylebook.

7. Doc Holliday

I agree there have always been mistakes, but it seems to me they are more frequent now. You disagree?

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, of course there are more mistakes now. Everyone is downsized and strapped.

9. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Give me an example if not here in a pm.

10. Doc Holliday

I don't post from work, so I can't put up unedited AP wire copy as an example. It's kind of hard to pull a wire story up without the service at home. It just seems when reading the wire at work, there are a lot of areas in many of the stories. Simple grammar and stuff. More than I remember anyways or maybe I'm just better at catching the errors now than I was then with 20 more years experience.

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I notice more errors in the roundups/capsules. Those seem to be the worst.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted