1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear AP (Re: State basketball tournaments)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 4, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Whether it's the AP, the state association, a coach's website or a newspaper or whatever else, anyway putting together high school results depends 100% on coaches or the coaches' reps calling the stuff in. Period.

It boggles my mind how well short of 100% the results are----coaches and parents kick and scream when they don't get "publicity" in the paper, but ask someone reliable to call in scores and boxes, and it's a crapshoot. Lots of pinheads out there.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, the AP will only cover the state basketball tournament ... basically the Final Four in each class. We have five classes.

Between boys and girls, it's basically two weekends in the same centralized spot every year.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why do you hate Class 1A Division II?

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Because it ran over my dog.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Guys, I don't mean to be a prick on this, but I would scream bloody murder if one of our writers took a score posted on a message board as publishable fact.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Normally, I'd agree. But it's a site run by a former sports writer. He was the one posting the scores, not Joe Fanboilooser.

7. jps

jps Active Member

shots, depends on the site. as gola knows, you're looking for a six-man football score and it isn't on the wire, you can go to sixmanfootball.com and, if the man's got it on there, it's solid.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. You guyz know your boards.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Our AP has a call center that requests it from member papers.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Oh man, I remember that dude. What's his name again?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Granger.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a site for Louisiana high school sports called kenramsey.com that's phenomenal as far as posting and organizing scores. Micke77 can probably vouch for it. For the few Louisiana public schools that we cover but never call us, it's been invaluable in getting some sense of who's done what.

Draft saved Draft deleted