1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deanna Favre feature NOT written by Kornheiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by flopflipper, Nov 12, 2007.

1. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/currentIssue/full_feature_story.asp?NewMessageID=16951

Interesting profile on Deanna Favre.

No, Kornheiser didn't write it. Anyone who watched the Packers-Broncos MNF game two weeks ago knows what I mean.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I've always been enamored with the beauty that is Deanna Favre....

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And that was why I almost didn't make it past the first section of this story. Like every other story we read or watch about her, this spent an inordinate amount of time talking about what she looks like. There's a damn photo to go with the story. We don't need to know how hot she is.

This turned into a very interesting story, but I almost didn't get to the rest of it because of the fawning over her looks. When flopflipper said it wasn't written by Kornheiser, I took that to mean it was a story that didn't dwell on her appearance (how many times did he mention how good looking she was on that MNF broadcast, anyway?).

Glad I got past it to read the rest of the story, though. It was a good piece.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Amazing dedication by an extraordinary woman.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Great story. bigpern, I didn't find the intro/beauty thing all that cumbersome. I read your comment before reading the story, and thought it'd be like 10 grafs. It was two or so.

Well-written, and a very strong woman.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I counted it as the first four grafs, about 200 words. Granted, not every one was describing her beauty, but those first four grafs I didn't feel served any purpose to the story other than to comment on her looks.

It was a long way from hazel eyes, direct gaze, beautiful hair, wearing shorts and little makeup to her being a strong, self-assured woman.

As I said, I enjoyed the piece, but I was expecting one that didn't focus (or at least lead with) her looks after the initial post about it not being written by Tony Kornheiser. I thought it was well written and quite interesting ... It was pretty long and I normally wouldn't have read the whole thing, but the writer kept my attention. I just think it's time that writers stop talking about how attractive she is and instead focus on the other qualities that make her such an impressive woman.

If you want to talk about her looks, write for Maxim. If you want to tell a story about a woman who has gone through a lot and is trying to help others, leave the stuff about her hazel eyes, denim shorts and ribbed V-neck shirt out of it (and, while I just used specific examples from that article, I mean it in more of a general way).

7. Mira

Mira Member

Much better story about Deanna Favre. And no, I'm not Jason.

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/wsj/2007/10/21/0710210266.php

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Both were excellent reads, but the detail in the magazine story, and the way the author smoothly inserted quotes from so many people, really stood out. The early descriptions of her beauty served as a nice contrast to the person she really is.
    Deanna sounds like someone I'd like to call a friend.

9. With benefits?

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Not my thing.
    Not that there's anything wrong with it ...

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm with bigpern on this. Four paragraphs in, I thought the writer was going to kiss her.

Then, it turned into a real good story. Nice work.

Draft saved Draft deleted