1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dean Singleton should have a scorpion tied to his scrotum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by woodstein, Nov 4, 2009.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

Companies have the right to terminate (or permanently replace, in corporate-speak) anyone who has been off the job for 6 months on disability. If this photographer gave birth in early May, her six-month clock expired this week, which is when the company pulled the trigger.

I only know this because of my days in management for a truly godless company. It had a circulation employee who claimed disability got a doctors' excuse to stay off the job. So the company left his job open for six months and fired him as soon as he hit six months.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Jelenic's a Floyd fan?

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Nah. He's a fan of ruining things, so he likes the Fred Durst version.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

These are the kind of stories kids in high school need to be told before they waste their money on Journalism majors. Kids should take a few journalism courses and get stringer jobs if they actually want to get in this hellhole of a business, not major in this black hole profession. What a horseshit move to fire this woman. My god what a world we live in!

5. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

Don't want this one to get lost. Well done.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fredrick, put your torch down. This shit happens in every business.

Doesn't make it any less hard to stomach, but file this under "corporations are heartless" not "journalism sucks".

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not to get political, but this also what happens when companies are kicking in money for employee's health care -- they find any way possible to get rid of the employees who use it, especially if the health care is self-funded. (As in, the company covers all claims, not an insurance company -- the insurance company is hired only to manage the benefits.) By the way, by self-funding, companies get the advantage of not being beholden to state laws mandating minimum levels of coverage, maximum time for paying claims, etc.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Actually, it should be filed under "corporations are heartless" and "journalism sucks"

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What does it have to do with journalism when other corporations in other fields do the same thing?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bub, this is heartless and I don't think I've ever heard of a J shop being this cold.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is there a link to this memo on the Internet? I'd like to demonize the P-P over this issue on various social networking sites. :)

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The wrong person got cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted