1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dean Singleton retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Nov 4, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He's been eased out the past couple of years since the formation of Digital First between MediaNews and the Journal Register, but now he's retiring as publisher and CEO of the Denver Post and now of MediaNews to "begin working on my bucket list."

http://bit.ly/18TBtNY

2. Garner

Garner Member

Release the hounds.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If there's a god, "kick" will be #1.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Apologize to everyone he let go would be #2.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dean Singleton or Bob Jelenic: Who's worse? Discuss.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Jelenic. No need to discuss. I worked for Singleton. Didn't necessarily love it, but there were no surprises. I have two friends who were "Friday Flash" layoffs at JRC.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jelenic, easily. Singleton is a corporate stiff who only cares about money. Jelenic not only matched Singleton on the money front, but he took sick pleasure in treating employees like shit.

8. joe

joe Active Member

No. 3: Develop a huge, festering boil on his taint.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

To preface, not saying this isn't news ...

... but, the topic in general of newspaper publishers/owners are public figures: do regular people know or really care who they are? There's this image out there that publishers/owners were community leaders, policy influencers, etc., and books and movies about guys like Hearst, etc. support this, but it seems that publishers/owners are just faceless executives to the masses. If you make a line up of executives from other companies, would even someone who moderately follows the news/subscribes to the paper (not a political figure or other public official) be able to pick out the local newspaper publisher?

Anecdote warning: I know that at one public function a few years back, the publisher at my former paper helped organize a community remembrance for the 10th anniversary of 9/11. He gave a speech that rambled on for nearly 30 minutes. I was there to cover it, and for the people in the audience not a sleep, there was the sense of "who the hell is this guy? He's not the mayor. He's not a police or fire chief because he doesn't have a uniform ... wait, did he just reference 'Planet of the Apes'?"

So, is it just my little slice of the globe, or what?

Apologies for the tangent, but it just stuck me to wonder aloud.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Worked for both cocksuckers, Singleton when he wasn't an owner. That said, Singleton purchased a few papers that would have folded immediatedly if he hadn't bought them. He didn't exactly improve them, but he squeezed out a few years they wouldn't have had otherwise. Other places he simply ruined. I hope his bucket list includes eating a turd.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good riddance.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Singleton. Never worked for Jelenic, but started my first day of vacation almost 20 years ago to find out that my paper had closed at 9 a.m. that morning. Fuck him.

Draft saved Draft deleted