1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dean Singleton, exit, stage left

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jan 18, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps. Talk is he's going to get his hands on Fort Collins. And the biggie: He's going to merge with Freedom, which would give him Colorado Springs and, thus, the entire Front Range. To say nothing of getting the Orange County Register and all the papers he owns out there.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So you're saying it's only a matter of time before we can read the same Lakers story in the Orange County Register that we can read in the Daily News, Long Beach Press Telegram, Pasdena Star News and the San Bernardino Sun. (Not to mention the SGV Tribune, Inland Valley DB, Whittier Daily News). Oh, and see the same photos and read the same blog posts. Joy! At the the Riverside PE will give LA some variety.

3. MileHigh

My understanding is they're already doing that, that they're sharing products and stories, and have been for a while. LANG takes the OCR's Angels coverage, the OCR takes the Dodgers coverage.

And don't forget Torrance in that cluster.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I don't think OCR is sharing with LANG because LANG stopped traveling with the Dodgers when they laid off Tony Jackson. Dodgers/Angels were shared between OCR and Riverside last season. I don't know what they do about offseason stories.

5. MileHigh

Just went to the Daily News website and the Angels trade coverage takes me to the OC Register.

Dodgers coverage on the OC Register is nonexistent (last story was published Dec. 7 and updated on Jan. 8 and it was an AP piece).

On the Register site for the Clippers, I get P-E coverage (except for the game Friday night at Portland, that was AP).

So there's still some LANG-OC sharing going on.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It might be that OCR gets him ...
    This was posted Tuesday ...

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2011/01/medianews-and-freedom-are-thinking.html

This was posted today ...

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2011/01/whats-ahead-for-medianews-and-whats.html

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Dean Singleton leaving may be a case of be careful what you ask for. According to Newsonomics three employees from Alden Global Capital are going onto the Media News board. Alden specializes in distressed companies and also has interests in Freedom and the Philadelphia Daily News. Alden is controlled by a billionaire named Randall Smith. If you analyze this situation by applying the golden rule -as in he who has the gold rules- it seems that Randall will be calling the shots instead of Singleton.

What does Randall think about the integral role local journalism plays in the community? I don't know but suspect he will make Singleton look like Sulzberger.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The problem is Dean for years barked about the integral role journalism played in the community, then did very little to support it at every paper not named the Denver Post. How many Lean Dean papers wound up in better shape with the proper amount of tools to do the job after he took over? And of course anyone said anything about it he told them to quit their crybabyin' and man up.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The idea of merging all these companies, while intriguing, would run into massive anti-trust issues.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If newspapers have become unprofitable, why would anyone want to buy them?

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why are people investing in newspapers? Newspapers have almost always made money at the operating level. But for tax reasons or to buy additional properties newspaper companies loaded up on debt. When revenues declined by 50% even if newspapers cut thier cost by enough to keep expenses below revenues -and most companies have- they could not service the debt. Now with bankruptcy wiping away most of the debt at Media News, Freedom, et. al hedge funds are coming in hoping for a rebound in print or hoping newspapers actually figure out how to make money on the internet.

And my previous post was not meant to praise Singleton for a committment to community journalism. I was being sarcastic. But things could always be worse. And I suspect they are about to get worse when the hedge fund takes over. I think the Longmont paper will be merged into the Boulder Daily Camera. Boulder is about 15 miles southeast of Longmont. And the Loveland paper somehow gets merged in the Fort Collins paper. Loveland and Fort Collins have pretty much grown into each other. Gannett owns the Fort Collins paper but I think it is printed at the Denver Post plant. I think Gannett and Media News will work something out.

We'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted