1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with the unexpected

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Oct 18, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This week alone, we have had:

• One of our major beat writers sidelined a day while his dad was prepped for open heart surgery;

• One of our most reliable stringers taken out of the mix for a key midweek event after his mother-in-law fell into a coma;

• One of my steadiest deskers felled by what I would term a violent attack of vertigo ... while working on the desk Tuesday night. (We had to call 911 to take him to the ER, but he's gonna be okay.)

We've muddled through, of course, but I hope the rule of 3s will be in effect and we can press on without any further crises (hah!) for a week or two.

2. Of course some big news item will break or higher-ups will want a big project done at this point ... Hope all is well with your co-workers and their families...

SB

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Hejira Henry, that is all terrible news.

Thoughts and well wishes go out to your coworkers and families during their rough times.

Also, best of luck getting out to press.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a typical ER episode.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hang In there... just try to relax as best you can. Everybody has a bad week now and then

6. HejiraHenry

Quire calm and collected, really. It's the meds.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Goodness, HH. A week like that at my place, and the society lady would be doing sports because there'd be nobody left.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

...before the first commercial break.
    Be good. Be strong. Guys hang in there.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I disagree with you on politics and some other things, like the relative importance of college football, but you seem like you would be a good guy to work for. Things should work out in time.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Just don't do TOO good a job, or they'll realize you can do it all the time. ;)

Seriously, though, hope things turn back around for your guys.

11. HejiraHenry

Thanks. It's all good ... or as good as itt can be on a Football Friday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted