1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with praise from the publisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

1. Dropping sports coverage would be blamed on me, not the publisher. He is a very powerful and respected member of the community. To them, I am only as good as what I wrote last week and am considered like their hired help, like gardeners.

2. These are very difficult parents to deal with. I realize many people say the parents they have to deal with are the worst. I'd be outing myself if I gave more details.

3. Within seven days I will start the job search in the other industry by sending e-mails inquiring about openings.

4. I hope to meet with the publisher soon to discuss an exit strategy. Perhaps some compromise can be arranged. (I had to stay through this school sports year, which is ending in about a month.)

5. These parents, like many others, think that no newspaper coverage means no exposure to college coaches, thus no scholarships. These parents almost never hear "No" in their lives and simply can't fathom the fact that making the youth soccer all-stars does not guarantee a college scholarship. Their children are simply not good enough athletes to get scholarships.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

A big issue I have with the parents is that some of them do the hiring in the other industry. I need them to think highly of me to get a job in it.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mr. X, would you get a grip?!

First, do you really want to work for people whose sense of reality is so out of whack that they think a low-paid writer for a FREE community rag (and I say rag with respect) is going to make or break their precious darlin's chances of free schooling?

I sure wouldn't.

Second, keep something in mind. People treat you how you allow them to treat you. I wasn't joking when I said earlier to get a backbone.

We've all had our share of parents from hell. Nobody's is any worse than anyone else's. You are giving them power and authority over you willingly.

Don't. You are the one with control over your own destiny.

YOU.

4. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Wow. Mr. X, assuming this is all true ... if I were in a situation where people like this had my balls in such a vice grip as yours seem to be, I would consider two options: 1) I'd leave the area. 2) I'd kill myself.

You're always going to be treated like the hired help/gardener because you're acting like it. You're reaffirming their deluded ideas of being some kind of local monarchy.

Rosie is right. Get control over your life. Viva la Revolution!

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only times I've ever had a publisher throw compliments my way was when I covered their kids' schools and wrote "favorably" about them. And every single time, I walked away feeling a little bit dirty.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's the publisher's paper, not yours. It's not your fault the publisher decided to cut sports coverage if you leave. What are you going to do, work there for 50 years?

If the parents want coverage of their little darlings, then let them quit their jobs and join the paper.

Almost sounds to me like you should find a different place to live if people are that idiotic in your town.

7. gretchd

gretchd Member

Mr. X,

Are you truly bound to this place? I mean, do you have a wife and kids who absolutely MUST stay there. Because if all the things you say are true, I'd hit the road. Fast.

Gretch

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

Mr. X,
    You are your own worst enemy.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Hit the nail on the head.
    Do not say within seven days, I will apply. Do it today, not tomorrow or the day after. Open up Word and print out the resume. Make copies. Go to Target and buy envelopes. Be at the post office at 9 a.m. to mail those bad boys out.
    Your publisher does not own you. The parents do not control you. You control you.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Screw them. Do what's right for you. Don't let someone's guilt trip hold you in a difficult place. Don't make it known that you and the writer are the same person and bail. It's not your fault that the publisher drops sports coverage. If the topic comes up in an interview, say that you had always wanted to work in (new industry) and figured that you should get out while you can.

If they're people worth working for, they'll respect that.

Then again, if they're so caught up about the college scholarship thing, maybe you don't want to work for them anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted