1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with difficult people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I do that all the time. It usually works quite nicely.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He was wrong for sacrificing his player's recognition just because he didn't want the score in the paper, so we fixed the problem. And it took about four seconds to get the score; one phone call. I agree, however, with not chasing scores half the night with the lone exception being football season.

Our paper doesn't run a scorelist, per se, where we could say "Score not submitted." We just run a prep roundup with everything that was called in. With close to 40 schools, it's hard to get a complete, and accurate, schedule from every team, especially in the spring.

When a game doesn't get called in, the parents call and complain. We simply direct them to the coach that failed to call in the game. Done and done.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I tell every coach that if they don't call in, I will tell every parent that calls why their score wasn't in - because of them. If a parent calls, i tell them it wasn't called in and to speak to the coach.

and to the original poster, if the AD won't do a damn thing, the principal and the school board are the next two steps.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

if one of coaches fails to call in and a score isnt posted on the khsaa site, we just leave them out. if we have a score but no stats, we'll say 'statistics werent available as of presstime' and leave it at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted