1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with coaches who get it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Local swanky catholic private school has done a great job hiring coaches. Most are younger, 25-35, but the school hired a blue-collar guy not associated with the school to take over the head softball job.
    His team loses, he has his postgame talk with the girls, and I ask him about the postgame emotions. He drops this on me:
    "I told the girls, even the ones that didn’t play in the playoff games, they did stuff during the season to get us to that point. That’s how it is. I told them I’m loud and I’m gruff, but I’m a real pussy when it comes to it."
    It was one of the cleanest quotes he gave me - obviously I'm editing out "pussy" with (wimp) - but it was great having a coach not give a shit about the typical coachspeak we hear from many of our prep coaches.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That might be refreshing from our POV, but I might have a problem if I had a daughter on that team.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why?

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mustang: I would not want someone coaching my daughters who used the word "pussy."

There are a lot of coaches I would not have wanted coaching my sons, had I had any, because of their vulgar mouths.

Coaches are teachers.

As a teacher, I wouldn't say to my kids, "I may seem gruff, but I am really a pussy."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you going to penalize a coach/teacher for cursing away from the job? Yes, he was on the job when he uttered the quote to Rhody, but it sounds like the guy is smart enough to figure that Rhody's not going to quote him to the letter.

If the guy doesn't refer to himself or anyone else as a pussy (or a dickhead or whatever) while coaching his team, I don't care if he channels Andrew Dice Clay the moment practice or the game ends.

6. Hackie

Hackie New Member

I also very much appreciate coaches who "get it." I've been fortunate to where a lot of the coaches I deal with now are more blunt and honest than the ones I've dealt with in the past.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Bad news Billy.
    Any teacher or coach your kids or future kids have had/ever will have will curse.
    The coach wasn't swearing in front of his kids. He was to me as I interviewed him 1-on-1. He knew I can't run the words he was saying, but it was just refreshing to hear a coach shoot from the hip and say things straight.
    His sophomore 2nd baseman made three bad errors that led to runs. He said he wasn't taking her out under any circumstance. She was staying in the game because she still needs to learn to make the plays and how to deal with things when they go, well, as he said, "shitty."
    It was a fun interview, but it was a bitch too transcribe.
    Oops. Didn't mean to say bitch. Sorry Billy.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

To clarify, I understand that some (OK, most) people curse, and I'm OK with that. My problem is if he's frequently using obscenities in front of/while talking to my kid. He can say whatever he wants while talking to a reporter.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Too bad that a softball coach who gets it isn't really that big of a deal.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of one of the great postgame quotes I ever got. Covering two local junior college football teams in their annual blood feud, and one of them just stomped the other on its own field.

I walked up to the losing coach, who was one of these old-school, good-ole-boys. I said something like, "Tough night, Coach,"

His reply was classic, delivered in the deepest Southern drawl you can imagine: "We didn't play worth a she-it."

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Oh, God forbid. Someone swore. Please, someone think of the children.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There's no way he said it, and I don't care if he says he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted