1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with an unhelpful organization/program/league

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Dec 19, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm working on a story and have been reaching out via email and phone calls on a daily basis to a heretofore nameless organization to set up interviews with subjects.

As of 1:30 PM on Friday, December 19, 2008, I have not heard back from said organization's media relations department. I'm thinking that my next step may be contacting the league's media relations department and asking them to see if they could light a fire under said organization to set something up.

Does anyone have any other advice as to what I should do? Any stories that people want to share?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

e-mail them a computer virus.

But seriously, taking a run at the league office is worth a shot. If the league PR guy is worth a shit he'll try to help you out as best he can.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No one has responded?

That's pretty weak. Call the org president or top executive, and if that doesn't work then call the league.

Give 'em hell.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If that does not work, call some of the league owners and tell them you want to give them free publicity.

Of course, if you are writing a story to rip the organization to shreds, or you have done so in the past, I can see them giving you the stone wall.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Tell them you're Mick Foley. That'll get their attention.

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Chances are the PR guy is just as frustrated as you by his powers That Be.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You mean the college grad and best selling author?

From wiki...

Foley has also written three children's books, Mick Foley's Halloween Hijinx, Mick Foley's Christmas Chaos, and Tales from Wrescal Lane. He has also authored Tietam Brown, a coming-of-age story which was nominated for the WHSmith People's Choice Award in 2004. Foley's second novel, Scooter, was published in August 2005. His writing has generally received favorable reviews.[47]

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is it possible to go around the media relations department?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Earlier in the week, I called late at night and left voice mails for several subjects but no response.

I just e-mailed the league to ask for some help.

This is a team that begs for media attention; a team that has criticized media outlets for not covering them. I would think that they would try to be helpful.

It is not like I have ripped this team or this organization before. I haven't. At least, not in print. So I'm a little perplexed as to why no one in said organization has seen fit to respond to a request.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This isn't an Arena League team is it?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nope.

12. Babs

Babs Member

Another suggestion if it's a player you need is to go via their agent. They are usually happy to get more publicity for their client.

Might this be a certain SE NHL team?

Draft saved Draft deleted