1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dealing with 1-star teams.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

So ok,

Monday I wrote what I thought was a fair article on the girls' basketball team here in town.

It was a season preview, and, the coach called me today and wants to speak about "the way you handled it, it wasn't about the team but one player."

Now granted, I DID mention one player as their stud, mainly because she is. I did also mention other players, it's not like I made it sound like they were a 1 player team, when realistically they sortof are this year. I've talked to 2 players who have both said so.

I'm dreading talking to the coach, I just started this beat and I don't really wanna start off on a bad foot, but it looks like it's going down that road.

I haven't watched the team play yet, like I said, I'm new here, so I'm going on what I could find from last year, which wasn't much.....

How do you make it "sound" like you're not covering just one player even if that 1 player is head and shoulders above the rest?

I don't want to upset this coach, but at the same time I don't want to lay over and make it seem like I'm going to write whatever he wants in there.

How should I go into this meeting with the coach?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I hate coaches like that. The reality is some players are better than others. Some teams are better than others. I hate the "everyone is equal" and "they all work hard" bullshit coaches spew.

The reality is the team has one good player. Two players said so. He's just saying that because he's afraid players' parents are going to blame him for the spin of the story.

I say don't worry about. Move on. Keep reporting, HONESTLY.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

did you have quotes from the coach backing up that the one girl was their star and they would lean on her?

he may not be mad at you per say, but perhaps is getting heat from parents and is passing the buck. I would tell him that you thought the article was fair, apologize that he doesn't and say you will do all you can to make sure the coverage is as balanced on their team as possible with keeping with what is newsworthy.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree, but look at it from the coach's angle. He has a whole team full of parents to deal with. He also has to keep the rest of his players interested (and at least trying on defense) while the star player pulls a Teen Wolf.

You did nothing wrong. But try to cut the coach a little slack, unless he's an out-and-out prick about it.

5. Damn it, guys! Some of you really are too soft-skinned to work in this business. People are going to be angry at you, no matter what you write. That, flat out, is a side effect of being balanced.

Take it with a grain of salt. Listen to your readers, coaches and parents without being judgemental. After considering their input, if you agree, tell them and thank them and let them known that it'll have an effect next time you're in the same situation. If you don't agree, stand firm with your beliefs without being rude. If they get rude or unreasonable, hang up.

I've gotten calls and emails like that before. My response: "That was a feature on Player A, not Team B." After this point, the conversation may continue, but the argument aspect of it is over.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Shit, that's all?

I had a coach pissed at me because I wrote that his team of all-star studs that nearly won state last year are back and could make a run at the title and at least a 25-win season.

Figure that one out.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You put a target on their backs, asshole.

(Just kidding. I've had that happen to me, too.)

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Apparently you set the bar too high and these poor kids will never be able to live up to such impossible expectations.

Or maybe he's afraid they will choke and it'll be his ass.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

But isn't it the role of the high school writer to make stars out of kids and paint targets on teams' backs? ;D ::)

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This coach is obviously a COCKDIAN!

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Does the coach allow the players to wear headbands?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

"It's about the team" = "It's all about me, the coach, me, I'm the one that put this together you see me I put it together to maximize the talent on this team we've got adequate talent but I am the one molding it into a champion. Me. Me. Me."

Draft saved Draft deleted