1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deal or No Deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Oct 23, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

When did they start putting seven million-dollar cases on the board?

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This game was made for the Gordon Gecco followers: "Greed is good"

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My guess? When people stopped watching.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They know it doesn't matter how many million-dollar cases they put up. Probability + player stupidity and greed almost always puts the show down to one big case vs. one small case decision.

This show, by the way, is the poster child for DVR'ing.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the show at first, stopped watching when it became one sob story after another, and even after people were offered hundreds of thousands of dollars and kept going only to walk away with a couple hundred, I began to root against the contestants as well. "Howie, I was born lucky!" Not today, my friend.
    And maybe I realized how screwed up this nation was when a woman was hoping to win enough money to afford health insurance so she and her husband could start a family. Bye Howie.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And you thought Jack Bailey and "Queen For A Day" were dead.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Excellent point. One of the things that drives me nuts about the show is that it takes about 10 times as long as it should. Another thing that drives me nuts about the show is that my in-laws love it (so it's often on when we're at their house) and have no understanding of probability (so I often have to resist the urge to tell them what morons they are).

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

We had a local family go on the show a year or two back and when they returned, one of our reporters did a story on their experience (local-local!!!). Well, a couple of the family members admitted that they got "coached" by producers to have certain reactions. They told our reporter they were encouraged to "have fun and ham it up" on the stage.

The guy who was the actual contestant and walked away with like $125K didn't want to comment for the story, afraid that he may face potential lawsuits in the future. All he would say on the record was "Things aren't always what they seem."

But like someone said earlier, there are stupid people in this country and stupid people make for good TV.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I often wonder about th arguments in people's homes if the family advises them to do something that turns out to be wrong. Like a couple on a game show who walk away with very litle: how do they make it to the altar?

I've said before this is the most evil game show in recent memory.

A year ago, there was this large dude in a t-shirt and kilt. Preening, celebrating, yelling, getting all into it. The type who when I see them, I say "They're screwing around too much, and they will choke." Well, he gets through the first couple of rounds and still has almost all the highest amounts. banker offers him $125,000 or so, and he takes it.

Then the evil, mean-spirited part begins as Mandel takes him through what WOULD have been the rest of his game had he not taken the deal. As the possibility that he had the million grows in his ind, you could see dude just freaking out, wanting to break Howie in half.

And of course, he had the million bucks in his case. I thought he was going to kill Mandel. He had the "Jon Gruden as that SOB Walt Coleman explains the Tuck Rule call to him in a driving snowstorm" look on his face. That who, "What the F$#%?? Better say something smart, or I will end you right here."

Classic to watch.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moment. Of. Truth.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

m.o.t. much, much more evil

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I watch more than my share of bad reality TV. After two episodes of Moment of Truth I couldn't do it anymore.

Worst show in the history of network television. Sorry, I can't watch people ruin their lives to win money.

Draft saved Draft deleted