1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deal or No Deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I was screaming at the TV, hoping that guy wound up with $1 in his case.
    He got what he deserved.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heard Howie Mandel on Stern a few years ago, right after that show took off. He said the hardest part of his job was to keep from screaming out, "dumbass, take the fucking money!"

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

actually, he started with 7 million-dollar cases. and i thought it was pretty heart-breaking. the guy seemed like a really decent person who was trying to do right for the whole family. but yeah, he should have taken the last offer.

fyi: he did get 10 grand for a side deal he made with the banker.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If he was trying to do right for the family, he should have stopped at $600,000 or $400,000, betting on all or nothing is just dumb.

5. txsportsscribe

he was right to keep playing when 2 of the last 3 cases had a million bucks but yep, should have taken the offer when that safety net went bye-bye.

6. jps

jps Active Member

I root against them as well. almost all idiots.

and what drives me nuts, too ... they'll take, say, 30 grand on a deal. then comes howie's 'if you would have gone on ... ' stuff. if they blow it on the 'what if' pick, they made a good call. fine. but when the offer continues to rise after one, two, three cases open, it doesn't really matter that, when they open doof's case at the end, he only has $5 in there. ("you made ... a fantastic deal!") dude didn't make a great deal. just because he had jack in there, that doesn't make the deal a good one. obviously, he sticks it out, the offer goes up. better deal. he made a shitty deal. so don't tell him he didn't, howie. tell him he's a dolt. and then tell him he's a liar when he tells you, "it's ok. I'm not upset at all."

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Whoa, it's like 2005 all over again.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This why someone like me would never get on that show:

HOWIE: Arnold Babar, your first offer is $167,000.

ME: Dude, I've been here five minutes and you're just going to give me $167,000? (slaps red button). Cut me a check, bitches!

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I also would go with the "play until there's one big number left" or if I got a sizable enough offer. Then I'd walk away with something.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, but you don't get that offer until you're well into the game (unless you lost all the big-money cases early). That first offer is like $15-20K usually.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I saw a couple minutes of that show last night and I was thinking that was his first offer. Maybe not. At any rate, I'd walk early.

12. txsportsscribe

the first offer last night was over $100k but that's because there were 7 million dollar cases.

Draft saved Draft deleted