1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deal or No Deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Since I retired from watching baseball a few years back, there was nothing on the tube at 9 p.m. Wednesday. My wife flicked on DOND and we started watching this big guy who's a nurse play the game. (The case ladies looked hot in their sexy nurse outfits, so there was that).
    The game is rigged now for a better chance at $1 million, so the guy has four different $1 million cases on his board.
    He gets to where he's got two millions on the board and $1 left ... and turns down an offer of $605,000. Turns it down. Then, after his next pick takes down one of the two $1 million cases, he is down to a flip of the coin over whether he's got $1 million or $1 in his case.
    He's offered $405,000.
    A flip of the coin for nearly a half-million.
    His mother tells him not to be greedy, that 400 grand is a hell of a lot of money. His sister tells him that case number 15 (which is in his possession) has to be lucky because it's their dad's birthday and case no. 11 up on stage has to hold the $1 because November has always been an unlucky month.
    So he listens to the sister. No deal. And turns out he's got $1 in his case. It may be the single most unbelievable thing I've ever seen on television.

2. I don't understand some of the people on that show. If I had the chance to walk away with $405,000, I would take it. Too many people listen to the family members or friends they bring with them instead of listening to their instincts. That's why I don't watch that show very often.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Too many people are just stupid.

and let's face it: stupid makes good TV.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oops

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You play until you have one big number left. Don't get greedy.

6. Yet they all do.

It's remarkable. I almost always end up rooting against the contestants. "You're too stupid to not stop now, you don't deserve the money!"

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love when the contestants have such a compelling story about wanting to finally get out of debt/buy Mom a house/start a college fund/do some meaningful charity work and then they repeatedly turn down six-figure offers. When they leave with $50 they say "that's OK this was such a wonderful experience!"

No, dude, you were a moron on a moron show.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well....he walked out with 1 dollar more than he walked in with.

Fools.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[fistbump]

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's tricky . . . because the buyout number is NEVER fair (from a percentage standpoint) until they get down to 2-3 cases . . . and sometimes, not even then.

I'd have taken the $605. While even that wasn't fair, it was more fair than the $405 on a cointoss.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yep. I can't bear to watch because the people are such idiots. Take the money and run, fools.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Once it was down to the million and the dollar, he should have taken the offer. Odds were that he took a case that wasn't a million dollars to begin with, so he should've made the deal instantly.

Draft saved Draft deleted