1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deal Or No Deal: Someone explain the deal to me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 9, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Actually, if you work the math, the amount the banker offers is precisely the average of the amounts left in play. Thus there is no statistical advantage to be gained or lost, and thus no real strategy whatsoever. [/geek who got an A in operations management]

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't watch this crap at gunpoint.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Watched it a couple of times after it first premiered last year. The one thing I remember about it was Howie explaining the rules over and over and over again. And then reminding the people that if they pick a case with a high-dollar amount, the bank offers will go down. As if there's some strategy to the damned game.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now THAT'S comedy!!! :D

5. carrie

carrie Active Member

I just started watching DoND about three weeks ago.
    I'm hooked.

I can't offer any insight into the show other than I know that when I make my appearance I:
    a) keep opening cases until the $1million is gone
    2) keep opening cases as long as I have bigger numbers out than the bankers offer
    c) find a way to sneak a flask or something that I can drink while this thing is going on
    4) have nobody show up as my support people. I don't need that influence. The audience is right.
    e) When it's all said and done, hug Howie and then find a way to lick his hands so he freaks the fuck out. Silly germaphobe. :D

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's fun to guess what the banker's going to offer. And to try to figure out if people pick the hot girls first, or last, to keep them around. Or whether the contestants are even aware of the relative hotness of the people holding their money.

7. carrie

carrie Active Member

The gals have nothing to do with it.

8. The Dizzle

The Dizzle Member

And for the networks. I believe it was NBC that recently copped it was quite happy to gameshow the hell out of its schedule if it could get ratings and sidestep the costs of producing real programming. Gameshows are sooo cheap in comparison.

And to think I thought this would be a thread about Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds break into music.

Oh, hell, it was just wishful thinking.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yes, it was NBC. In fact, they're doing just that. The first primetime hour will be all gameshow/reality TV.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's quality.

I only post on SportsJournalists.com on two occassions: That's day. And night. :D :D

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I would take anything over $100K because I'm not one of those stupid, greedy fucks that winds up with $500. My personal favorite was the guy who had the $.01 in his case.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That and it's hosted by Bob Saget.

Fuck, if I'm going to spend an hour on a Friday night watching Bob Saget, Kimmy Gibbler and DJ Tanner better be getting it on. I mean, is this thing on?

Draft saved Draft deleted