1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadwood update

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

I'm with IJAG (Is that like being with Leather?) Anyhoo, Swearingen's cursing became a distraction for me, not because I was offended but it just got to be rather cartoonish.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

WU: Cock-sucka!
    SWEARINGEN: Boy, am I glad I taught you that word.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's a very interesting interview on the DVD with David Milch about the language and why the characters talk the way they do. And the language is, by all accounts, historically accurate.

Who can forget that fabulous first meeting between Wu and Swearengen (see Terrier's post above) when the only word they had in common was "cocksucker"? It reminded me of that episode in The Wire with Bunk and McNulty when they're reinvestigating a crime scene.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good pull, JR. I just watched that episode of The Wire you're referring to. Nothing but "fuck" or some variation of it, the entire scene. Brilliant stuff.

5. maberger

maberger Member

the incident in the street .... swearengen locking himself in his office in season two ... episode after episode this is just great tv.

and the language, soaring while filthy. just brilliant.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Working my way back through Season 1 on Netflix. On the next disc, the best work of Kristen Bell's career.
    In the Season 1 finale, as heartbreaking a murder as you'll ever see - you bleed for both the killer and the victim.

7. JackReacher

Shit. That was Kristen Bell? Damn. Didn't pick up on that.

I'm thisclose to declaring Deadwood the best series in TV history. And I've only seen season one.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

How terrible would it have been to live there? I can't stand mud. The clothes people wore at all times could not have been comfortable. Your gal had to take off her clothes behind a screen before you jumped in the sack together. Of course that was probably good because the chicks didn't shave. People had to stink because they didn't take baths. No toilet paper. Just having a conversation would have been laborous. And I hate mud.

9. JackReacher

Yeah. The whole living without pavement thing had to have sucked. Mud every-damn-where.

There is a bathhouse, but I'm still unsure who is/was allowed to use it.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, which character was Kristen Bell?

11. JackReacher

The "sister" in the "brother-sister" tandem who came to Deadwood because they were "looking for their father."

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, right. That was friggin' brutal.

"Beady little eyes"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted