1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadwood 7/30

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jul 31, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Another interesting episode....I'll reserve all my comments until I watch it a second time.

But did anyone else notice that Wyatt Earp is being played by the dude from Queer as Folk? (Yes, I've watched it).

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Out of all the roughnecks on this show, I really like the fruity little actor guy more and more.

3. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I had some problems with this episode, mainly: It's crap or get off the pot time. I know it's HBO and they drag some things out but let's get the Hearst vs. the town thing going ASAP. One of the great things about this show is the violence and it's been several week's since Dan pulled that guy's eyeball out.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

To this point, his role has kind of been tangential. But I get the feeling he's going to play a major part in something down the road.

5. Last night was a showcase for Brian Cox as Langrishe (sp?).
    Cox had been underused prior, IMO.

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

I couldn't disagree more. To me, the buildup to the inevitable showdown has been nothing short of fascinating. Watching people forming alliances, second-guessing their own instincts, sending out feelers, developing strategies and deciding who to back-stab is far more interesting than if Hearst and Swearengen had just gone after each other with guns blazing.

Season 3 of Deadwood could end up ranking up there with Season 1 of The Sopranos and Season 1 (or 2, or 3) of The Wire for one of the best 13-episode runs of all time.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Am I the only one who could have done without the shot of Gerald McRaney's ass?

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That much is already certain, in my book. I thought the show was great in Season 1, slowed down a tad in Season 2 but has absolutely hit all the right notes this year.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Precisely. As somebody on another board put it, this season is like a full-contact chess game between Swearengen, Bullock and Hearst. It's a giant potboiler into which we throw another element or two each week.
    What is the Earp brothers' real agenda, besides dancing on the edge of another classic Bullock beatdown?
    The irony of George Hearst trying to intimidate the press, based on what his son would create in real life, is delicious.
    I feel sorry for poor Steve...NOT!
    Plenty to look forward to next week...ACTING! from the Langrishe crew, Hearst laying on the muscle, the return of Yankton Cocksucker, and finally, some Wu.

10. Watching Steve lay there reminded me of a former boss ...

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I can't wait for the Hearst v. Swearengen/Bullock showdown, but enough with the theater people already.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that buxom blond. :)

Said it before and will say it again - the acting on this show is incredible. Major Dad kicks major ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted