1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadwood 7/23

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jul 24, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

OK, so since nobody else was willing to start a thread on it, I will.

Is it just me, or are things not looking too good for Sheriff Bullock?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's on in 10 minutes. I plan to watch it.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Bullock appears on the verge of being ear-deep in Earp. But I think he pulls through...

That episode, while typical of the series' excellence, was the slowest Deadwood I can remember. Very little momentum. A true 'set-up' ep. Some tension was slightly diffused (Garrett might stop chasing the drago) but at the same time, the dynamic between she and Ellsworth was just treaded water.

The plot(s) on Deadwood just usually hurtle along. This ep was more about character development, the soul of Deadwood (vis the reception to Bullock's Lincoln-esque letter), the humanity of Swearengen (his interactions with Langrishe and Doc were poignant) and Trixie, etc.

All steak, no sizzle.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As I break out the canned peaches in anticipation of the fireworks to come, I wonder where I'm going to find black crepe to decorate my TV with the night Doc passes on. That was tearing Al up the same way Rev. Smith's brain tumor did the first season.
    On a happier note: Blazanov gets the surprise MVP award for this epi.
    Joanie and Jane provided some lesbian action, but I wouldn't cal it hot, really.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That aspect of Al's character is similar to Tony Soprano, who is ruthless against other humans but is strangely compassionate toward animals. Likewise, Al has no problem killing someone, but he can't stand to see human suffering and disease. That was a great soliliquoy at the end, where he talks about the cruelty of getting along and getting old and tells Doc to suck it up and stay alive because he doesn't want to have to learn a new doc's quirks. The conversation between Cy and Al was also revealing -- when Cy brings up putting an ad for a new Doc in the Eastern papers, Al's comment was one of his finer moments IMO.

I too will be sad to see Doc Cochran pass on. I think he's been a fascinating character from the start.

The lesbian thing wasn't that great, but at least it didn't come out of nowhere. It was established midway through Season 1 that Joanie preferred taco to sausage.

Anyway, I doubt Al will go for offering up Bullock as a sacrifice to Hearst. Even that wouldn't satisfy Hearst's bloodlust.

Can't wait for next week. I think this is the best season yet. And fuck HBO for pulling the plug.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

For those who don't care about spoilers, here's some history on Seth Bullock (with a brief mention of Wyatt Earp):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Bullock

Of course, Deadwood uses artistic license for much of the show, even though most characters are based on real people.

I agree with the previous opinions: This was definitely a set-up show. And fuck HBO.

Oh, and I'll repeat: Gerald McRaney deserves an Emmy (next year).

And you can definitely see the resemblence of Omar Gooding with his brother Cuba, Jr., especially in the eyes and the way they smile.

Damn, I love this show.

Draft saved Draft deleted