1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin's List of the 10 Worst Men In Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Meh to some of this, but Tommy Craggs screed about Colin Cowherd? Wow. Craggs can flat write.

http://deadspin.com/5748972/the-worst-men-in-sports

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Deadspin's List of the 10 Worst People In Sports

Yeah, I mean, aside from Cowherd never having said the most foul word in the English language that Craggs repeatedly accuses him of saying, that was just brilliant. Jesus Christ, if you can't even take down Colin Cowherd based on what he actually said, you aren't cut out for media criticism.

His rhetoric and pomposity got the better of him there. And the rest of the people on that list -- Tony LaRussa, seriously, one of the 10 worst people in sports? -- scream out "I am masturbating into my blog, will somebody read this it's so different and FRESH!!!!"

3. Double Down

Sorry, LTL, but the Craggs thing was very good. And he's as good at media criticism as anyone out there right now.

The Magary rant about Sterling was blah.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bullshit list. Cutler isn't on it. [/themedia]

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, La Russa as one of the 10 worst is absurd. Dude's just lucked out for more than 30 years. Other than that, the list was mainly low-hanging fruit. The top-10 good guys list was much more interesting and skillfully put together. Having Artest on it was edgy and proving why he belonged was well done.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that Colin Cowherd's opinions on race relations are not at all evolved. That is one millio degrees away from Cowherd having done what Craggs says he did. Maybe you hate Cowherd so much that you agree with the take -- I don't really listen to Cowherd and don't have an opinion either way -- but he has been wronged in this case. Viciously and unfairly.

7. Double Down

Nope. Bullshit. Cowherd absolutely and positively walked right up to the line with as much coded language as possible. Just because you don't physically utter the word doesn't mean you're not suggesting it. What he did was cowardly and weak. And Craggs represented him perfectly.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

C'mon, he didn't call Wall a nappy-headed ho.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tommy Craggs, mind-reader.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Drew Magary is dead-on about Pepco.

Brian Hickey joins me in disliking that Super Bowl jerk.

And Craggs nails exactly what Cowherd did. He didn't actually SAY it, but that's pretty much exactly what he said. Dude even trashed Wall for the sins of his father, using language that's so very coded you knew EXACTLY what he was trying to say.

11. Double Down

Cowherd's rant about Wall was as racist as anything anyone has done is sports media the last few years. It's wasn't about implying negative things about black people. It was about implying things about a certain kind of black person. The fact that he littered it with references to "It's not robbing a bank, it's that you planned it" and "all the great point guards have good dads and come from stable homes, and that's why Wall will fail" just drove it home even more so.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think he was hard enough on A.J. Daulerio.

Draft saved Draft deleted