1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin with some more solid investigative journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Jan 17, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What? What do you mean? Are you implying that doodah is in any way either a.) the biggest idiot this side of , well, anyone or b.) That he's not completely honest?

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I think doodah is awesome. In fact, this place is too small-time for him. He should start his own blog.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I totally agree. Someone who can see the visionary journalism being done at Deadspin, AND wants to rejigger Jeopardy into Stump the Schwab? He needs to make a name for himself. He's already started!

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Now we got us some wrasslin'. :D

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry. I'm new here.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If linking to dong shots and videos of rednecks fighting outside SEC stadiums is visionary journalism then SportsJournalists.com should have won a Pulitzer years ago.

How much original content does Deadspin even produce these days? A couple of posts per week?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If what Deadspin does passes for investigative journalsim nowadays, I'd like to think that, back in the day, Alan Funt would have been made a distinguished fellow at some j-school.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did you guys see what Gawker did the other day? Brian Williams is apparently email buddies with Nick Denton, and Williams ripped the shit out of his network's SNL musical guest last weekend. Something like it was the lamest act in the history of SNL. Gawker -- now headed by AJ Daulerio -- printed both the initial email AND the panicked follow-up request from the NBC flaks begging him to take it down.

I laughed pretty hard at that one, I have to say.

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

doodah, perhaps you can reconcile your position railing against the NYDN for using anonymous sources for you love of Deadspin, which often passes along unconfirmed tips from unnamed readers?

That said, I actually agree with you on the part about a strong community. The comments on many on both Deadspin and Gawker are part of what makes them fun to read. I know journalists often have an anti-comment stance, but sites like these--as well as Joe P's blog, Sepinwall's blog, the AVClub, etc.--all show the value of a vibrant readership community.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Why someone would assume that any conversion to someone involved with Gawker would ever be off the record is beyond me.

Also, this...

...is about the best bit of humor I've read on the site.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dr. Harvey Levin, Ph.D., professor at the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Meh, he just does lectures. Associate Professor D-Wizzle is more hands-on.

Draft saved Draft deleted