1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin with some more solid investigative journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This. Of course this thread probably hasn't got much longer to go before it gets locked.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hey, so where would I look if I wanted to request White House records to see if Pres. Obama had talked to anyone in Hawaii about forging a birth certificate? I'm sure some secretary wrote a note about it and stuffed it away in his file. I could take Obama down! It could be bigger than Sanduskygate! Or even Watergate! Who do I make that FOIA request to?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just FOIA his emails. Much easier. Look for the ones titled "Need a fake birth certificate."

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, someone explain to me why doodah is asking how to file a FOIA request here, yet on one of the jobs threads he expresses disdain for having to do news?

5. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Hey, so this wasn't exactly hardcore investigative work, but it did require some digging and reconstruction, and I enjoyed it. Thought you might, too. Deadspin gets insight on what went wrong with Cundiff's kick: http://deadspin.com/5878655/

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Concur. That is an interesting assessment.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That was a Slate writer, though.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Stefan Fatsis, who also wrote the great book about Scrabble, and who spent time in Broncos camp as a kicker a few years back on a Plimpton-like quest. Smart of Deadspin to feature him in that space, but don't give them too much credit for fleshing out that story.

Very good story, though. Indicates that John Harbaugh was in a bit over his head in that final minute, which is a bit more strange considering he made his bones as a special-teams coach.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow. I think the scoreboard malfunction was home cooking to help the Tuck Rule Patriots. Ought to be an investigation.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Call a damn timeout, end of issue.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, there's that. Getting a better/more consistent kicker would have helped too.

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

You typed "kicker" when you meant "wide receiver." Easy mistake to make.

Draft saved Draft deleted