1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin will pay for shots of drunk NFL reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

Deadspin is having a "bounty hunt" for candids from South Florida of various sports personalities, their body parts and proximity to athletes and booze. Maybe this is meant to be all funny, hahaha Steve Serby's testicles, but I'll bet Deadspin would take a shot of Stuart Scott with a drink in his hand.

With TMZ down there also, should journalists be watching their backs as well?

http://deadspin.com/5462749/presentingthe-deadspin-miami-super-bowl-bounty-hunt?skyline=true&s=i

Sample menu:
    *Sweaty Chris Berman talking to young woman: $43.22
    *Woman sucking Brian Baldinger's pinkie: $286.21
    *Rick Reilly hammily choking someone: $4.32
    *Mike Lupica: $8.32
    *Mike Lupica berating someone: $28.42
    *Rachel Nichols drunk: $78.32

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Make sure not to get more than $599.99 worth of photos or they'll send you a 1099 form

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

* Peter King dressed like a model from MLB Shop.com $4.26

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Pretty sure it was more tongue-in-cheek. People once sent Deadspin stuff for free. TMZ's sports enterprise has created some competition.

Not saying Deadspin wouldn't pay for photos. From what I remember, it paid for the shots of Josh Hamilton falling off the wagon.

This just seems a poke at TMZ.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People on this board are supposed to be outraged over this when there's a thread devoted to mocking Peter King's outfit at Super Bowl week?

Here's a suggestion -- don't get drunk in public if you don't want a picture of you drunk in public going around. Or, take the picture yourself and collect the bounty.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm sort of bummed we didn't think of that first.

8. Lava Man

Lava Man New Member

Not to threadjack, but did anyone read the Marbury story at the top of the page?

http://deadspin.com/5462728/the-lone-wolf-goes-to-china?skyline=true&s=i

That's a helluva read, not to mention a helluva thing to find beside a post about paying for shots of Steve Serby's balls.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about if you don't want your peers making fun of you, when you go to one of the biggest media zoos in the world, dress like you didn't raid MLB's dirty clothes hamper.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whichever way you want to approach. But no whining about such things if a bounty is placed for pics of media members looking stupid when the media members like to do it themselves on this message board.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Bingo on both posts.

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

Please don't attribute whining to me. There was no complaint when I posted this, more wondering about the relative sincerity and asking if journos should watch their backs. We are used to reporting, not being reported on.

As far as if it's hypocritical to mock PK in one post and ask this in another, I'd say groups have always mocked their own, but now it's outsiders getting in on the game.

Maybe Deadspin should lift some of the pics on that thread...

Draft saved Draft deleted