1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin "Why your team sucks" NFL previews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 9, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyone else reading them. Yes, they're profane, gross and appear to have been written by tatted-up, backwards-cap wearing frat boys who live in sports bars, but damn, they've been funny. My top three were the Steelers, Broncos and Ravens.

2. spud

spud Member

Love em. The more profane the funnier.

3. KVV

KVV Member

I actually don't find this to be the case at all. I think Magary, who has written every one of them, I believe, is kind of the anti-frat guy. The stuff he writes is profane, but it's very smart. The piece he wrote for KSK about the Henry Louis Gates thing was hilarious. I agree that the Steelers one was the best of all.

4. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I thought it was genius. A team preview that appeals to the fanbase of the 29 other teams rather than just one? Shrewd move by Daulerio.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I like the "Why Your Stadium Sucks" columns.

6. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

The previews are great, just for the ridiculous stories. Magary is close to the only reason left to read Deadspin for me. A sports version of George Carlin, almost. Profane, funny as hell and brings up some damn smart points to think about, too.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The concept was stolen from The Onion, but who cares? If it's worth reading, then great...

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Third-rate, unfunny, unoriginal juvenile crap. Gee...Modell stole the Browns, Ray Lewis sucks, yadayada. Setting a new bar for blogishness. Yawn.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think they're pretty funny, and I'm a casual fan of one of the most maligned teams in the series. They could curb the profanity a bit without losing the comic value.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They're not that good, even as this kind of humor goes. Arguing which one of these blogs does it best is like debating whether McDonald's or Burger King grills a better patty.

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Hands down, without a doubt Burger King. Anybody who disagrees is a tatted-up, backwards-cap wearing frat boy who lives in sports bars, escaping only for his daily fix of grilled golden grossness and those tasty, tasty potato french fries.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. BK by a mile. Not even a question.

Draft saved Draft deleted