1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin takes down SB Nation's business model

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Was wondering when this would be discussed on here. It's way too long and repetitive but definitely interesting. I don't think anything in there is all that shocking but the meager wages are disappointing. Doubt anything will change, unfortunately, but SB Nation really does need to figure this out. Bleacher Report was able to move beyond its sketchy beginnings but SB Nation still can't seem to rectify its main site with all its team blogs.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"How SB Nation Profits Off an Army of Exploited Workers"

Then a whole lot of damn words to say "because enough people don't have enough self-respect to demand pay for their services."

As for when it would be discussed on here, about six years ago IIRC.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It was a boring read and didn't shed much if any light on a story that's well known. If you don't wanna get paid peanuts, don't work for peanuts. It's really that simple. No one is forcing anyone to take these gigs. If you think getting a so-called platform is worth it long term, then have at it.

SB Nation would benefit, I think, from fewer blogs. Like maybe 275 fewer.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I imagine its a lot easier for people who "want to start their own site" to use the SB Nation platform/built in infrastructure. Is that worth trading ownership for without wages? I don't know. Up to the individual bloggers to decide that for themselves, I suppose.

There's also just not enough information out there about what a decent wage is. What's the going rate per click that's not exploitative? I'm in the business and I have absolutely no idea.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

So basically SB Nation is a social experiment conducted with other people's money.

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

275 out of how many? I ask because I don't read SB Nation. What little I've sampled based on what has popped up on my screen I've found useless. Just my opinion.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

There's like 300. No joke

bpoindexter likes this.
  10. Honestly I think that's what Vox counts on, the writers/managers/editors not knowing the click/SEO numbers or whatever it is.

11. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

YIKES!!! And thanks.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Unless these sites get hammered by labor laws, these systems will never change. There will always, always be someone willing to write sports for peanuts, especially young folks. They can't be convinced that it's a waste of time and intellectual capital.

Draft saved Draft deleted