1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Steve Spurrier Wants [Ron Morris] Fired and Will Probably Get His Way

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Morris should follow the Finebaum model and get a syndicated radio program. Then he would be all set.

2. Unless you are a Pirate.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Methinks the U.S. Ryder Cup team is the Pittsburgh Pirates of golf.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No, not the first time Spurrier has railed against a columnist. Just ask Larry "sad little fat man" Guest.

rb

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

Guest also was shocked -- SHOCKED!!! -- when Arnold Palmer, Norm Sloan and Pat Williams, among others, balked at the idea of kneeling at his throne.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And now Doyel weights in ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/20423049/spurrier-needs-to-worry-about-coaching-his-team-not-calling-shots-for-local-newspaper?fb_action_ids=4639931441421&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%224639931441421%22%3A188011884657133%7D&action_type_map=%7B%224639931441421%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I was in the room for that post-game presser when SOS went off on Guest. It was at once one of the more interesting and stunning things I had seen SOS pull ...

rb

8. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Not sure what has come of this situation with Ron Morris, but it sounds like something the Football Writers Association should check into. When a coach can get a writer/columnist fired because he doesn't like his opinion that is scary. Both the school and the news gathering organization Morris works for should be weary of taking such actions. The newspaper he works for comes out looking worse because it is seen as caving in to a half-baked way-past-his-prime coach.

My guess is the FWAA may be a little cautious because it doesn't sound like Morris didn't practice great journalism in publishing a story without all of the facts. But I don't think that is an offense worth firing. Also there is the issue of the comparison to Penn State. Not once did I believe he was comparing the sex scandal. What he was comparing is the parallel between two powerful coaches who seem to get exactly what they want. We now see how dangerous that is.

I don't know Morris nor do I agree with his column premise but I do believe there is a much greater concern here that the FWAA must be willing to address in some bold and meaningful way.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Spurrier has called Morris "insignificant." So he should treat him as such. When you threaten censorship or even retirement from football, rather than simply brush Morris off like an annoying gnat, you're the reason the story has gone viral, not Morris. Yes, Morris is such a little twit that he's not getting as much sympathy from the fellows in the media as someone else might. But it's Spurrier's fault that he's letting someone "insignificant" get to him.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hondo, it sure seems to me from reading the various links here that these two men have an unhealthy mutual dependency love-hate relationship. It's like if Boswell spent his time taking shots at Dr. Johnson.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If you are so disturbed by someone that you attempt to get him fired, you are not allowed to call him "insignificant." Can't have it both ways.

12. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Awhile back, Spurrier tried to get Robbie Andreu fired when Robbie gave Auburn the coaching edge in a pre-game box. Spurrier wasn't too happy that the local paper implied that Baby Bowden was a better coach.

The Larry Guest stuff is legendary, and Spurrier very well may have been right to hate the guy.

The Spurrier-Chris Harry story is also a classic. Chris (the best UF beat writer in the last 20+ years IMO) was sending a notebook to the Knoxville paper during Tennessee-Florida week, Spurrier found out about it, flipped out publicly and Harry got death threats. Harry told Spurrier of a call where someone told him that they knew where his daughter goes to school and Spurrier said, "Well, you shouldn't have written it." Funny that Chris works for UF now.

Another writer wrote that Brock Berlin was unhappy and wanted to transfer. Spurrier tried to get him fired. He also called the writer out on his TV show and the guy got death threats.

So Urban Meyer was far from the first UF coach to completely try to bully the writers who cover him.

Draft saved Draft deleted