1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Steve Spurrier Wants [Ron Morris] Fired and Will Probably Get His Way

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Sep 29, 2012.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/5947590/steve-spurrier-wants-a-columnist-sacked-and-will-probably-get-his-way

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Won't be the first time he's pulled this shit.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Proof that 21 is really Isaac Rauch:

"However obnoxious the prose (Morris starts three consecutive sentences with, "Me thinks"),..."

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

looks like spurrier's trying to get himself fired if this first half at kentucky is any indication

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I don't agree with Spurrier's temper tantrum but Morris' at least deserves suspension for what he wrote. He compared South Carolina to Penn State because they allowed a QB to play with a bone bruise. He tried to pass it off as Spurrier started him even though he was hurt and the administration did nothing to stop it. Shaw was actually cleared by the doctors. Sorry but you don't compare that to a pedophile being allowed to run freely. It's like comparing the killing of a fly to Hitler. Such nonsense is allowed on ESPN with the Bayless and such, it shouldn't be allowed in the paper.

6. It's not comparing it to a "pedophile being allowed to run freely," it's comparing it to a situation in which a coach is revered so much that his decisions are above criticism or dissent. Which is frankly still the case at many (most?) big-time football schools, no matter how much we claim to have "learned" from Penn State.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If that's really your argument ... well, that horse done left the barn a very long time ago.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Don't disagree that is still the case all over the country but this is complete crap. The player was cleared by the doctor. The journalist went off on something that a tiny bit of fact checking would have proven wrong.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Me thinks Spurrier is playing possum. Me thinks Spurrier wants to avoid another week of speculation about whether Shaw or backup Dylan Thompson will get the starting nod Saturday. Me thinks Spurrier has adeptly shifted the attention from one of the most ill-advised decisions of his illustrious coaching career.

I would fire Morris for not knowing how to use "methinks." Or look it up.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There is no appropriate use for "methinks."

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

True. So Morris is guilty of aggravated assault.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Censorship via intimidation. Way to go Spurrier.

Draft saved Draft deleted