1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin scorches source

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Oct 16, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't agree with you more.

1) Pfalmer didn't contact Deadspin and offer up what he remembered. Deadspin contacted him.
    2) The whole point of what they posted was that the congressman didn't play. Don't point a finger like that, unless you know know it for certain. It's incumbent on Deadspin to have sourced it better than that.
    3) That hack at Pfalmer was cheap. It didn't change the fact that they ran to take a shot at that Congressman after doing a half-assed job of reporting. That isn't the fault of the 77-year-old man they called on the phone and who told them what he remembered.
    4) That isn't owning it. Owning it would have been a contrite apology.

2. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

but the headline had a question mark on it, so everything's ok

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They actually thought that was a story worthy of publication in the first place? Whether or not the guy played offense and defense?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. They thought he lied about playing at all, and the tip-off to them was that he made a big deal out of players playing both offense and defense, because that's not a big deal in high school. They thought it was a sign that he didn't really know what it was like to play high school football.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Deadspin is currently working to confirm that Charles Woodson was once enrolled at the University of Michigan. He once claimed to play offense and defense -- and get this, he even says he played special teams!

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Important stuff.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That was one of the weirdest things about it. I don't get why that would be a red flag, unless you've never seen a football game in a town that has, I don't know, fewer than 50,000 people. Most small school football players are on offense and defense. Obviously you see fewer as you go up in size, but of all the things to send a tingle up your leg, that was a strange one. It'd be like thinking someone's lying if they said they played three sports in high school back in 1993.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I suppose none of you actually read the Washington Post story that Craggs linked to:

http://deadspin.com/how-deadspin-fucked-up-the-cory-gardner-story-1647195366

9. No. He didn't own it. He questioned the motives of old man to change his story.

Sorry, that's not owning it.
    Take that sentence out, OK.
    Leave it in, you're taking a cheap shot at a fallable source.
    You fucked it. Leave it at that and move on.

And OBTW: This is a nothing story. And it was a really long nothing story.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

^ So it belongs in the BASW?

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not to knock McKenna too much because he's typically great, but it seems like covering DC-area sports (and preps) kinda skewed his view on the "play both ways" thing. Hell, I grew up in a town of 60,000, played in a state title game at my state's highest classification, and everybody worth a damn played both ways. Everybody. Our all-state wide receiver was a defensive end. Our all-state quarterback was the hardest hitting free safety in the league. Western states aren't populated enough to keep good athletes on the bench for half the game. Of course it sounds like Caldwell Gardner was garbage as a player and was at the very least telling misleading tales about his role on the team, but the "play both ways" thing wouldn't have sounded much of an alarm.

EDIT: I have no idea why I thought the dude's name was Caldwell.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hell, Terrelle Pryor played both ways in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted